French Local Taxes

jim

My wife  and I own a house in the Languedoc which we use as a second home, spending approx 4 months each year in France, our main residence being in the U.K.

I thought I read recently that reductions in local taxes (taxes foncieres, taxe d'habitation)  were available (up to apprx 50%)  for 'second ' home owners. I can no longer find the article I read and my wife is covinced that senility is setting in. Can anybody help?

Sorry, but I fear your wife may be right! In some areas I've heard that taxes on second homes are higher than those due on primary residences.

You should have had your bills in by now (payment for taxe d'habitation was due on 15th November). On the reverse it lists those exonerated from the taxe but only for maison principale - over 60s, infirm, handicapped, widowed or those in receipt of RMI.

Just FYI, in our neck of the woods (Vaucluse) Taxe d'Habitation isn't due until the end of December.  I haven't even got my bill yet.  I know it will arrive as it has every year for five years.  Expecting it any day now.  So, it must be different from place to place.

Hi

We have received our bill for Taxe D'Habitation and we have got a reduction of around 32% for this year, we are resident in the UK and only take holidays at our place in France.  It was a pleasant surprise but we still have to query the fact that they are asking for a fee for the TV licence and we don't as yet have an aeriel.

Gail

Hi Dick

Yes, we have sent two signed slips off the bottom of their official letters, one in April 2005 and a further one in March 2006.  We thought that we had indicated that we did not have a TV aerial etc, but maybe our french is worse than I thought!! There is a phone number on the letter so I will have to hope that my husband is brave and phones them, I'm still struggling with the phone! 

Thanks

Gail

Thanks for the prompt replies , if only confirming my wifes suspicions regarding senility! We have received Taxe D,hab & its due 15/dec here;Incidentally , its for 640 plus 116 re tv, and we paid taxes Fon in september @ 721 euros, which seems a bit higher than usually quoted for an old house which cost us approx euros 200k in August 2004, any comparisons available generally or on-line?

[quote user="mijrednef"]

Thanks for the prompt replies , if only confirming my wifes suspicions regarding senility! We have received Taxe D,hab & its due 15/dec here;Incidentally , its for 640 plus 116 re tv, and we paid taxes Fon in september @ 721 euros, which seems a bit higher than usually quoted for an old house which cost us approx euros 200k in August 2004, any comparisons available generally or on-line?

[/quote]

€520 & €780 respectively here.  Your numbers don't seem wildly out, and you'll go mad trying to rationalise them with comparisons.