Great Book on French Tax

Sharkster

I contacted some tax advisors in the UK for some free advice.  Due to regulations and such they could not offer any information without doing a full consultation with a fee.  What they did do is send me a book authored by them called 'The Blevins Franks Guide to Living in France' by Bill Blevins and David Franks.  It covers all aspect of French taxation and is in plain understandable English.  The book can be purchased for £6.99 but if you contact their offices

Blevins Franks Tax Advisory Service Limited 3rd Floor 29-30 Cornhill

> London EC3V 3ND

You may like me receive a free copy of their book.

Blevins is a regular contributor to Living France and the other magazines.

A perennial problem with books like that is that taxation chagnes year on year, so you may not necessarily be getting the most up to date information (particularly as a freebie) so although you will have a good grounding in the principles you should always check on the current situation. Another similar book is available from PKF in Guernsey, and this is updated every year. Companies like Blevins Franks only give taxation and investment advice, they do not advise on social security matters which are of even more relevance than tax for most in France if you work or have investments.

I don't want to sound at all negative about Blevins Franks' services or their generosity,, or your mentioning their book, but it's worth pointing these things out.

Will

You raised some valid point there.  They have sent me the latest edition ( which has the tax bands for 2006 declarations and such.  There is also a section on social charge and social security charge (social charge being the 8% of 97% of all your revenue and social security charge being 8% of everything over 6965 euros).  I think it is a great starting point (as are many other books but I happen to get this one free) but it is no means a substitute for professional up to date advice.

Hello Will,

You are bang on about social security stuff. The 4th edition of the Blevins Franks book had serious flaws (not just figures being out of date which is almost inevitable) in chapters about health cover and I pointed these out to them. This was acknowledged by David Franks so hopefully future editions will be OK at least in this resppect.

Regards

Owen

I remember that when setting up as self-employed (with all English clients) in France they were one of the companies I contacted, asking in particular about the correct regime for cotisations. They replied (sending me a copy of the book on taxation) that they were happy to advise on tax but and investments but were not qualified to give advice on social security for French residents wanting to work.

[quote user="Owen"]Hello Will, You are bang on about social security stuff. The 4th edition of the Blevins Franks book had serious flaws (not just figues being out of date which is almost inevitable) in chapters about health cover and I pointed theses out to them. This was acknowledged by David Franks so hopefully future editions will be OK at least in this resppect. Regards Owen[/quote]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

That's quite worrying, given they sell people advice on tax and investments......[/quote]

Financial advisers [Www]....SD  I agree; [B] it is "quite worrying"........absoultely shocking to give such advise and receive benefit from.