money exchange

maggie

i, too, have used hifx 2 or 3 times and find them very easy to deal with.  if you wish to use them, or indeed, any other foreign exchange company, ensure that you have gone through their money-laundering procedure and set up an account so that when you want to exchange money, there is no unnecessary faffing about at the last minute

It very much depends on the bank, Sharkster.  However, regular transfers can be cheaper using a service, as you can often agree the rate for quite a long period in advance.  I would say it is well worth your having a chat with one or two, as you could be well in pocket.  Worth a couple of phone calls, at any rate.

I did look at one before, I forget the name, but I got scared about trusting another party (outside my bank) with large amounts of money.  I think it is a little bit of internet paranoia as there seem to be a huge amount of companies and a lot of them seem to be registered at residential addresses which make me think there are a bit dodgy.  I may look into it in the future though.

[quote user="Sharkster"]Are money exchange companies worth the additional work?  Currently I have money transferred regularly from the USA but do via the bank, would I save a fortune using a money exchange service.  The usual amount is about $3000 USD transfer
[/quote]

With the greatest possible respect, (that's code for "That's a daft question"), the only person who can answer that is you.

On a day when you've got an hour or so, ring your bank and get a rate for a regular tsfr of your $3k or whatever.  Do the same with one or two of the brokers.  Errrrrrr ............

If you think you're going to "save a fortune", then forget it and carry on dancing with what you're doing.  You might save a few quid ($'s) though.

HIFX are fine (as I'm sure are most of the others).  Our mthly tsfr turns up 'on the dot' every month.  Reliable, easy to deal with, no additional work (whatever that means).