edann42

Your revenu fiscale de reference must not exceed 9,437€

In addition, you must be either:

- aged 60 or over and not subject to wealth tax;

- a widow/widower and not subject to wealth tax;

- in receipt of RMI;

- receiving social security supplementary benefit;

- receiving adult handicap allowance;

- be crippled/invalid and unable to support yourself through work.

The exemption is automatically applied by your tax office - you do not need to specifically apply for it.

Thankyou for your reply.

I am currently receiving Incapacity Benefit from the UK and am not in the French 'system'. Do I need to be to be to receive this benefit? If I do go into the French system, would I, at 58 years of age, qualify as I am receiving less than 8000euros p.a.

As you are not yet 60 you would not qualify. Once you are resident and therefore obliged to complete French tax returns you will automatically be awarded the reduction if, as seems likely you do in fact qualify. However I assume you may receive a pension at 60 which will of course change the calculation.

In the meantime you are likely to benefit from some reduction to your tax bill , provided that it is not too "Grand" compared to the other properties in the area (IE Its taxable value must be no more than 130% of the local average)

I am so confused with this tax!  I have even contacted the Mairie to ask them to send me a bill. 

The posts on this thread seem to imply that over 60s on low income don't pay - or do they??   I am certainly over 60 & on a very small UK state pension. We do not as yet live in France - husband still working in the UK (he's younger than me - not yet 60), and the  French house is solely in my name.

Please could someone advise ?

Thanks in advance

Once you move to France, whether your tax is payable here or in the UK, you should fill in a French tax return.  You must get the forms from your local tax office in the January following the year in which you arrive.  From this form, the French authorities will calculate your income and a rebate will be applied, if one is due.

Here, you have to put yourself in the system, it does not happen automatically, although if you're discovered not to have complied, you can be fined.

Post edited, after Sue pointed out my error.  Wakey, wakey, Coops!

Tegwini : I have just had a look at the rebate conditions on the back of my own bill.  The exemptions  for ""Personnes agees et de condition modest" appear to me to be said to apply "pour leur habitation principale" (their block caps.)  If this is so, then as you don't live in the house permanently yet, my own interpretation is that the reductions do not apply.

[quote user="edann42"]

Thankyou for your reply.

I am currently receiving Incapacity Benefit from the UK and am not in the French 'system'. Do I need to be to be to receive this benefit? If I do go into the French system, would I, at 58 years of age, qualify as I am receiving less than 8000euros p.a.

[/quote]Edann42, sorry I mixed you and Tegwini up!   It's not a case of if  you go into the system.  As said above, you need to complete a tax return here, regardless of whether your tax is paid here or in the UK.  Then your tax d'hab rebate will happen through the system, should it be due.