Revenue tax as a side issue to the current healthcare debate

Buster_Gutte

A Postulate (for comment, if you feel you have time)

I am an 'inactif' who is domiciled in France. I have 'adequate financial resources in order not become an unreasonable burden on the finances of the receiving State', but I do not have any comprehensive sickness/healthcare cover.
As I do not comply with both the conditions of the Directive 2004/38. Article 7, it appears that " I cannot rely on a right of residence in France".
My point is, that as I am no longer a legal resident in France, should I be obliged to continue to pay income tax here (ie declare myself as non-resident and no longer submit a déclaration des revenus )?

Buster

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By definition I cannot be a resident in France.  I cannot obtain private health insurance to meet the French governments requirements (not "cannot afford" but "cannot find"), so as you say I cannot be legally resident in France.  As you say, if not resident in France one's tax burden is somewhat lighter.  I expect that one might still be liable for tax on income generated in France (or maybe something like that) - unsure but this does not affect me.

As I cannot be resident in France I will not be declaring my worldwide income to the French and not paying tax on it.

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"]By definition I cannot be a resident in France.  I cannot obtain private health insurance to meet the French governments requirements (not "cannot afford" but "cannot find"), so as you say I cannot be legally resident in France.  As you say, if not resident in France one's tax burden is somewhat lighter.  I expect that one might still be liable for tax on income generated in France (or maybe something like that) - unsure but this does not affect me.

As I cannot be resident in France I will not be declaring my worldwide income to the French and not paying tax on it.

Ian
[/quote]

please leave your name address and fiscal number on the site[:D]

[quote user="groslard"]It's about time that British immigrants realised that they are just that: immigrants, not 'ex-pats'

[/quote]Not that old chestnut again!  Oxford Dictionary definition of the word expatriate : "A person who lives outside their native country."  Perfectly applicable to anybody living here, whether they intend to return to the country where they were born or not.

No. An ex-pat is someone working away from home who will return at the end of the contract

An immigrant is somone who has settled permanently.

Do English people speak of  Pakistani or Polish "ex-pats"?

or do they say we are leaving the UK because it is being taken over by immigrants?

And why do you quote an English definition for people resident in France?

Surely what counts here is what the French think?

[quote user="groslard"]It's about time that British immigrants realised that they are just that: immigrants, not 'ex-pats'

[/quote]

An ex-pat is someone living in a country other than that where they were born or brought up. Just how are these immigrants not ex-pats? Confused.

[quote user="groslard"]No. An ex-pat is someone working away from home who will return at the end of the contract

An immigrant is somone who has settled permanently.[/quote]

That's your personal definition, not the dictionary's

[quote]Do English people speak of  Pakistani or Polish "ex-pats"?

or do they say we are leaving the UK because it is being taken over by immigrants?[/quote]

That doesn't deserve comment

[quote]And why do you quote an English definition for people resident in France?

Surely what counts here is what the French think?[/quote]

Your statement was made in English on an English-speaking forum, but for what it's worth the French for ex-pat is expatrié.

[quote user="groslard"]No. An ex-pat is someone working away from home who will return at the end of the contract
[/quote]

Wrong again groslard

An expatriate (in abbreviated form, expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing or legal residence.

Sorry Gary, but as Groslard well knows the Oxford English Dictionary is a load of old tripe, packed full of inaccuracies.  When speaking English, you should always use the French definitions.

This has precisely what to do with Tax and Healthcare btw?

Busta Gutte and Deimos - as you're going to be illegal residents from Monday then why not go the whole hog and not pay your taxes? - might as well do it properly!

or do they say we are leaving the UK because it is being taken over by immigrants?

[/quote]

Bang on groslard!!  Sorry you are immigrants - period.  To suggest that as 'ex pats' you are somehow superior to immigrants is arrogance.

I do refer to non British Europeans in England as expats, don't you?  It's a perfectly acceptable definition for anybody not living in their country of birth.  Neither word is derogatory; neither implies a superiority to the other. Both are acceptable in terms of the English language.  I'm quite happy to be called either.  The only difference is that immigrant implies a peramanent move whereas expatriate is non specific.  Therefore "expat" is a broader word and is better in the context of, say, a forum like this because it covers both those who intend to move on/back and those who are here for the duration.  That is why it is a better word to use, as it makes no judgement as to the permanency or otherwise of the move.

In fact, it is probably more inaccurate to refer to Europeans in Britain as immigrants as many will intend to return to their native countries at some stage.  So they are much more likely to be expatriates than immigrants.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="groslard"]No. An ex-pat is someone working away from home who will return at the end of the contract

[/quote]

Bang on groslard!!  Sorry you are immigrants - period.  To suggest that as 'ex pats' you are somehow superior to immigrants is arrogance.

[/quote]

Now this is why I spend so little time on this site.

Looking back to the original post I notice that no-one here has described themself as an ex-pat - I certainly don't, but it's an accepted term in English. It was groslard who picked the phrase out of nowhere in a post which has nothing to do with health in France. Now we have Scooby accusing un-named "you" as being somehow arrogant.

For what it's worth Cooperlola has it right when she say's the French say "les anglais".

Bye!

Sorry Bugbear - but I'm not a troll I am simply stating a fact.  If you have moved to France from the UK you are an immigrant, the same as the other immigrants (including the East Europeans that everyone on here seems to be so disparaging about).  Just because you don't like the term doesn't make it wrong.

As far as the point re the changes to health care are concerned, as former UK residents you are, in fact, privileged by having the benefit of the E106.  Sarkozy has simply applied the same rule to you as has always applied to US residents.  You have to be financially independent which means being able to provide your own health cover.  Being subject to changes like this is one of the hazards of becoming part of a minority immigrant community - you don't have the same clout that you have at home.  Most of you have enough assets - after all you own nice renovated houses - which is more than the second generation North African communities living in the Parisienne suburbs have....