Passport Verification for French Bank Account

the wee p

I am applying for a britline bank account and need my passport verified from my bank which is the Halifax, i went to my bank today and was told that it is not in there policy to stamp my passport and write on it that its an original the bank will only take a photo copy and sign and date the copy.  I had previously got them to do this and sent the photocopy from my bank which was returned.  Has this happened to anyone else, what do i do if my bank wont verify any passports and Britline wont let me open the account otherwise. 

Are you sure that Britline are asking for the actual passport?

I've just checked my account application documentation (admittedly over 3 yrs ago) and it quite clearly asks for a copy of the passport duly signed and attested by a 'person of standing'. We got out neighbour to do it since she's a schoolteacher (not really a guarantee of 'standing', but anyway![:)])

I'd ring Britline and ask them.

this was what the person dealing with my application at britline replied after i had sent the photocopy of my passport, it wasnt stamped by my bank but the teller had written original, signed, dated and some number i assumed was her identication/employee number, but this is not acceptable, i have emailed britline today only to be told that they recieve lots of verifications each day and that i should try another branch of my bank which i will do but i do not think it will be work.

Certified Copy of your Passport

We are unable to accept copies certified by any other then your bank. Certification must be done by your main bank as per the following guidelines: they must apply their official stamp then sign, write "original vu" and add the date. This must be done on the photopage. The date must be within the last 3 months to be valid

[quote user="the wee p"]

this was what the person dealing with my application at britline replied after i had sent the photocopy of my passport, it wasnt stamped by my bank but the teller had written original, signed, dated and some number i assumed was her identication/employee number, but this is not acceptable, i have emailed britline today only to be told that they recieve lots of verifications each day and that i should try another branch of my bank which i will do but i do not think it will be work.

Certified Copy of your Passport

We are unable to accept copies certified by any other then your bank. Certification must be done by your main bank as per the following guidelines: they must apply their official stamp then sign, write "original vu" and add the date. This must be done on the photopage. The date must be within the last 3 months to be valid

[/quote]

Read it again the wee p.

They are saying they are unable to accept copies certified by any other then your bank. (their poor English not mine).

They've not saying they won't accept a copy, just that the copy must be certified by your bank.

And looking at Renaud's post you do appear to be dealing with a Jobsworth here.

We initially looked at going the Britline route but all the pfaffing around with verified this, verified that, put us off completely, so we waited and opened an A/C with our local CA in about 30 minutes.

All we needed were passports, a recent UK bank statement and proof of French address. We had literally just completed so had a copy of our Acte de Vent but I think a copy of the Compromis would suffice.

Britline's sole "raison d'etre" is to provide what ostensibly appears to be a simple (?) route for people like you who need a French bank A/C. Ultimately however you should bear in mind that they are nothing more than branch of Credit Agricole Normandie and CA are themselves a loose confederation of local independant banks so if you don't live in Normandie and want some services you may find you can't get them.

Is there no way you can hold off until you're next in France. Nearly everybody will tell you that it's by far best to open an A/C with a local bank chosen either by recommendation or where there is someone who speaks English, if you need this of course.

EDIT: Those who may be interested can see the full list of requirements HERE

[quote user="ErnieY"]

CA are themselves a loose confederation of local independant banks 

[/quote]

An important point.

I have a Credit Agricole account in one region, but worked for a while just over the border in another.

I could use the cash machine at the Credit Agricole in the work town, but not even pay in cheques, let alone use other services.

As I was there all the time during opening hours it started to get annoying.

I am sure that you will have fun and games with Immigration if the Halifax have 'tampered' with your actual passport. They need to certify a copy.

We decided that opening an account with the likes of Britline would do us no favours - just keep us in English mode for longer. We therefore opened an account in the town near our house in France.

We went in expecting to have fun and games making ourselves understood - aware from our experience that if you try then the French will also try (dread to think of the reaction that a French person who can only speak a very little English would get in the UK). However, the person we saw had a reasonable command of English - he kept apologising that it was not better. So the openeing was that much easier. He has since left so each time we visit it is down to our French. They seem very laid back in the bank that it does not seem to matter if it takes a little while to serve us.

As to the proofs - they took a copy of our passports, doscumentation relating to the house and that was it.

So go for a normal branch near to your house.

Paul