French Taxation

Deeks

I will be moving permanently to France in April.  I am 65 and will receive only my pension (under £10,500 pa).  Does anyone know how much tax am I likely to pay on this under the French system assuming there are no other factors to be taken into account.

Deeks

Depends on whether you are married and if so what income or pension the wife has as in france you are taxed on one  total which after deductions the remainder divided by 2 becomes taxable.

the experts on the forum can help but need to know more and also if you have savings then interest is taxable.

I presume the pension is a company one plus the government O.A.P.

Also if you have a pension from government work --then this will still be taxed in uk.-e.g.teacher/armed forces etc.

Thanks for taking an interest.  I am female and single.  My pension will be composed of £5,000 of State Pension and £4,500 - £5,000 private pension.  £5,000 of savings. Acting on the basis that there will be no deductions - apart from personal tax allowance - I just need some idea of the likely tax payable.  I know in Uk I will get a personal allowance of £7550 and then the balance is taxed at 20% but have no idea of the position in France.  Thanks for your help.  

How's your French? Can you cope with the tax calculator at www.impots.gouv.fr ?

You hardly need to enter anything. A very rough try (guessing your age and other circumstances) and putting in €13,500 of pension income + €400 of interest suggested a total tax bill of less than €350 (obviously taxe d'habitation and taxe fonciere, as relevant, in addition = French version of uk Council Tax but much cheaper). But better you try it for yourself.

Deeks

If you are arriving in April, then your first tax declaration will be due in May 2009 and will cover your income from April to December 2008.

So, running your figures (assuming gross) through the French impots tax calculator (which currently uses the 2007 tax bands, so not totally accurate):

For Apr-Dec 2008:  Pension income, say, 8,600€  Saving interest, say, 250€

Income tax payable = zero.  Social charges payable on saving interest = 28€.  You will receive the tax bill in autumn 2009.

Using the same calculator for your 2009 income (ie, the full twelve months):

Income tax payable = 206€  Social charges on savings interest = 44€. These will be payable in autumn 2010.

Note that these future calculations are based on current tax bands, but they will give you a broad indication of the scale of tax and social charges you are likely to pay. 

I'll second that David. I have to go to my local tax office very soon to get my forms. Having never completed one in the UK never mind France, it's not something I am looking forward to!![8-)]   Long live Sunday Driver!.

tuppence (aka cartref)

I've also heard that there's an "official" rate published but I've never seen it to use.

Why not just calculate your own rate by adding up all the Sterling amounts you've transferred and then dividing this by the totalof all the €uro amounts that you actually received. It would have to be a very picky fonctionaire to argue with that method.  [Www]