which kVA to go for?

Am currently trying to decide which tariff to go on for electricity with Seolis.  Of course the other main point to decide is the kVA level.  This is new to me.  Can anyone give a rough idea please of what may be a suitable level to go for?  Will then have a better idea on which tariff to chose as well.

Have seen a couple of threads on this but not one factoring the pool.

Current electrical appliances

Hot water tank (currently comes on overnight)

Dishwasher

Washing machine

Kettle/toaster etc

Oven (gas hob).

4/5 oil filled electric radiators (for winter)

Pool pump (on continuously in summer – but probably not at the same time as the heaters)

TV/DVD etc.

Lighting.

Thanks in advance

[quote user="Stan Streason"]

Am currently trying to decide which tariff to go on for electricity with Seolis.  Of course the other main point to decide is the kVA level.[/quote]

We acquired our 9Kw level including HC with our 3 bedroomed house and after completing the simple test on the EDF site decided to try it out and see how we got on.

Result, after 3.5  years is we are still on the original tariff. We have 9 electric convecteurs but only use 5 of them as our house faces south, is well insulated - built in 1995 - and open plan. The heat disperses throughout the house and also rises up the stairs. We changed our 3Kw UK kettle for a French kettle of 2Kw and bought a tumble dryer which uses 2.9 Kw max. There have been 2 occasions when I have had to switch off a heater in the afternoon in winter so that I could make myself a cup of tea, but this is due to our particular HC which is 5 hours at night and 3 hours in the afternoon. Your HC being only at night you are unlikely to have the same problem!

Sue

[quote user="Stan Streason"]

4/5 oil filled electric radiators (for winter)

Pool pump (on continuously in summer – but probably not at the same time as the heaters)

[/quote]

I wouldn't be worrying about the pool pump, it will be using a lot less electricity than the 4 radiators, which are likely to be your deciding factor (in conjuction with the other appliances).

Have run the following simultaneously on 9Kw without problems:

3 electric radiateurs

hot water heater

washing machine (mind you, I wash everything in cold water) OR dishwasher (nothing to do with electrics, I'm unsure about the water pressure)

dryer

electric oven

electric cooktop burners (1 or 2)

coffee maker

computer, router, printer

assorted lighting fixtures, clock-radios, etc.

[quote user="Stan Streason"]Thanks.  Had tried that (spotted from an earlier thread) - but its quite simplistic (even for me) and does not cover the pool pump (which I have absolutely no idea about).[/quote]

Stan you will have to read the plate on your pool pump motor, roughly 0.5kw

[quote user="tenniswitch"]

3 electric radiateurs      hot water heater    washing machine (mind you, I wash everything in cold water) OR dishwasher (nothing to do with electrics, I'm unsure about the water pressure)

dryer   electric oven    electric cooktop burners (1 or 2)

coffee maker    computer, router, printer

[/quote]

Crikey, all at the same time? Are you sure you are not on 12Kw?

Sue [8-)]

The EDF page gives you a rating based on the items which are the biggest consumers or are on 24/7.

Based on what you have indicated and assuming your property being a main home >100m², you'd need at least 12kVa.

For a property < 100m², you'd need at least 9kVa.

We have 6 kVa for:

• hot water cylinder
  • washing machine OR tumble-dryer (very occasionally used at the same time at night)
  • kettle (2.2kW)
  • small oven (650W)
  • microwave oven

• pool pump OR one electric radiator (2kW) (they're not needed at the same time of year!)
  • large chest freezer
  • large fridge
  • laptops
  • power tools OR electric chainsaw
  • lights, TV, etc...

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="tenniswitch"]

3 electric radiateurs      hot water heater    washing machine (mind you, I wash everything in cold water) OR dishwasher (nothing to do with electrics, I'm unsure about the water pressure)

dryer   electric oven    electric cooktop burners (1 or 2)

coffee maker    computer, router, printer

[/quote]
Crikey, all at the same time? Are you sure you are not on 12Kw?

Sue [8-)]

[/quote]

Yup.  I double-checked my bill before posting that.  We had the house rewired during renovation, and the electrician originally signed us up for 6Kw, which I was sure would be insufficient.  When he came to install the radiateurs, I was finally able to convince him that we would need to go up, but he insisted that 9 would be sufficient.  So far it has been, but I'm planning to have him install 2 more radiateurs- must remember to bring the subject up again.

I appreciate his desire to save us money (he's horrified that we're on the higher base when we're here only 5 months a year), but I know our usage habits.