Santander Group ,who pays the guarantee's

krusty

Krusty

I believe that it depends on whether they use the passport indemnity scheme, you will find full details and which banks use the Uk guarantee and which ones (passport scheme) use the other countries first.

The Chancellor was good enough to rescue my life savings from the frying pan of an icelandic owned UK bank (but crucially one that was guaranteed by the UK FCIS scheme life savings) and lob them into the fire of the Dutch owned ING which is "covered" by the Dutch scheme.

Seeing how quick the Icelandic governmen were to renege on their responsibilities (cant pay wont pay) I dont know which if any of the European countries I would feel secure with, at the moment I have no choice as I still cannot withdraw my funds.

JR, I was checking out something on my ING internet account earlier today. 

There was a bit about the Dutch government guaranteeing people's deposits up to €100,000.  So, if that statement can be trusted (and who knows what to trust these days?), perhaps you'll see some of your money back quite quickly?

All best wishes

This was a question asked in an article I linked to in another thread:

[quote]La question d'un internaute : J'ai un livret d'épargne dans une

société de droit néerlandais. Mon épargne est-elle couverte par le

fonds de garantie des dépôts ?

Les filiales des banques étrangères ayant leur siège en France (Fortis,

HSBC, par exemple) sont couvertes par le Fonds de garantie des dépôts,

mais pas les succursales d'une banque étrangère. Ainsi, les clients

d'une banque néerlandaise, comme ING, seraient indemnisés par le Fonds

de garantie des dépôts néerlandais, à hauteur de 38 000 euros pour les

dépôts et 20 000 euros pour les titres
. Barclays, quant à elle, est

sous législation anglaise. Actuellement protégés à hauteur de 35.000

livres, les dépôts de ses clients seront garantis à hauteur de 50.000

livres (63.000 euros) dès le mardi 7 octobre. Ce relèvement du montant

s'applique à chaque client de la banque. Pour les comptes joints, la

limite sera de 100.000 livres. Les épargnants possédant un compte dans

une banque

suédoise seront protégés à hauteur de 500.000 couronnes (51.110 euros)

par personne, soit un doublement du plafond habituel. Plusieurs autres

gouvernements européens se sont engagés à garantir les dépôts d'épargne

des particuliers. L'Etat autrichien garantit les dépôts bancaires et

les produits d'épargne (compte, livret) à hauteur de 20.000 euros par

client et par banque. Quant à l'Allemagne, elle a même garanti tous les

dépôts des épargnants de façon illimitée pour éviter une ruée sur les

banques.[/quote]

The limit quoted above was valid at the time the artcile was written and may have changed since.

Or, in Google English...

The question of a visitor: I have a savings account in a Dutch company. My savings are covered by the deposit guarantee fund?
Subsidiaries of foreign banks with headquarters in France (Fortis, HSBC, for example) are covered by the Deposit Guarantee Fund, but not branches of a foreign bank. Thus, customers of a Dutch bank, like ING, would be compensated by the Deposit Guarantee Fund Netherlands, up to 38 000 euros for deposits and 20 000 for the titles. Barclays, meanwhile, is under English law. Currently protected up to 35,000 pounds, deposits of its customers will be guaranteed up to 50,000 pounds (63,000 euros) from Tuesday October 7. This increase applies to the amount each customer of the bank. For joint accounts, the limit is 100,000 pounds. Investors have an account at a bank in Sweden will be protected up to 500,000 kroner (51,110 euros) per person, or a doubling of the usual ceiling. Several other European governments have pledged to guarantee savings deposits of individuals. The Austrian State guarantees bank deposits and savings products (account book) to the tune of 20,000 euros per customer per bank. As for Germany, it has guaranteed all deposits of savers indefinitely to prevent a run on banks.

I'd say the Spanish Govt would have to provide the guarantee. Having said that, why not move your money to a National Savings Account for the simple reason that it is part of the UK Treasury - they print the money and cannot go bust!

That's what I did.

Krusty I do hope you got answers for your questions from the Customer Services.

I am back in the UK got a factory job starting six tomorrow morning. Unbelievable situation but it just shows how quickly it can happen and things change. Best to have all your i's dotted etc.

Trying to get my head around working in a factory to pay the tax,  CRDS & CSG due on the savings next month to the French Government.  Guess no help from them.

[quote user="PoorerPop"]I am back in the UK got a factory job starting six tomorrow morning. Unbelievable situation but it just shows how quickly it can happen and things change. Best to have all your i's dotted etc.[/quote]

Poppy, good luck with the job and I hope you all get better news during the course of the week.

[quote user="krusty"]

Re B&B the money is gaurenteed by the UK , but just in case I am moving some to a Livret A.  [/quote]

Is this B&B money of yours in the UK? I ask only because we had funds (for our house purchase in France - which did not happen) with B&B UK but were told to close the account when we moved to France and open one with B&B Int IOM - which we did.

Edit: we both have a Livret A here - definitely to be advised.

Sue