Nationwide giving 1.318

AnOther

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]I was in Victoria yesterday and a bureau de change there was offering 1.28. As they aren't usually the most generous places i thought things must be looking up.[/quote]

I don't know what's going on.  HiFX were advertising 1.26 something yesterday morning (and that was based on the interbank rate, so for individuals it would have been lower).  One thing is sure though, the rate yesterday was the highest since before April.

[quote user="ErnieY"]I took some cash out of an ATM yesterday and looking at my NW account this morning I see I got 1.3177

The highest HiFx has shown over the past couple of days is 1.2981

Thank you NW, I'll be back to the ATM for a second helping today [:D]

[/quote]

When you first see the transaction on your Nationwide account on line it is simply their estimate at the time. Wait until the transaction actually hits the account and then check the rate again.

Unless they've decided to give the stuff away, 1.3177 hasn't been achievable for quite a long time.  [:D]

Not so Benjamin, once the transaction shows up on the A/C that's it, it doesn't change.

Agreed on 1.3177 but that's what I got. I've been again this morning and wait to see what this lot comes over at. It will be less for sure because I tried for €390 which @ 1.3177 would have been £295, under the £300 daily limit, but it refused so I took €380 instead (can't be bothered messing around with the odd €5).

Maybe yesterday was a mistake !

[quote user="Cat"]HiFX were advertising 1.26 something yesterday morning [/quote]

Don't know where you saw this Cat, HiFx have been considerably better than 1.26 for a couple of days.

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/HiFx-1.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="ErnieY"]Not so Benjamin, once the transaction shows up on the A/C that's it, it doesn't change.

Agreed on 1.3177 but that's what I got. I've been again this morning and wait to see what this lot comes over at. It will be less for sure because I tried for €390 which @ 1.3177 would have been £295, under the £300 daily limit, but it refused so I took €380 instead (can't be bothered messing around with the odd €5).

Maybe yesterday was a mistake !

[/quote]

I haven't used my Nationwide account for a while to draw cash but normally the same afternoon or first thing next morning you see an account balance given and then an available amount. By the time this becomes an actual transaction line on the account there have, in my previous experience, been times when the amount can change.

I have never noticed it change but to be honest, other than checking to see what rate I've got on odd occassions, I have never studied it that closely after the event.

Yesterdays withdrawls of €380 are showing @ £288.38 each so I'll make a point of watching to see if it does change. Todays haven't appeared yet and there are other transactions which contribute to the available balance figure so I can't easily work those numbers out at the moment.

I did some shopping at Carrefour on Friday which was debited from my NW account on Monday 6th, for the shopping I got €1.283 / £ (around 5 quids worth) for the fuel I bought from their pump 2 minutes later (again around 50 quid) I got €1.282 / £ [:(]

I am doubly pi55ed off now that I have checked as clearly when I pay by card I dont really appreciate just how much I have spent,  100 quid for a couple of bags of shopping and a tank of diesel? [:'(]

What happened to the pouvoir d'achat?

Yesterday now on the statement @ 1.2888.

Previous still unchanged @ 1.3177

Personally I'm thinking it was a screwup and there is nothing they can do about it, I hope !

I'm also certain that the rate is live as, looking back at previous withdrawls where we have used both our cards consecutively, on a couple of occassions there have been minor differences in the amounts charged which can only logically happen if it is live.

[quote user="ErnieY"]
Previous still unchanged @ 1.3177

Personally I'm thinking it was a screwup and there is nothing they can do about it, I hope !
[/quote]

No I don't think it was a mistake, you were just fortunate to withdraw your money at precisely the right moment to benefit from a sudden, unexpected surge in the exchange rate. Later news transformed the situation and the rate went into reverse. I missed the surge and, to add insult to injury, I don't bank with Nationwide - one of the biggest mistakes of my life.

Sue [:(]

I keep reading on the forum about nationwide accounts that are operated with a card, can these accounts be opened with an address in france ? I have been onto NW website and have noticed that they do an overseas account, can this be operated with a card, does anyone know?

[quote user="Belle"]I keep reading on the forum about nationwide accounts that are operated with a card, can these accounts be opened with an address in france ? I have been onto NW website and have noticed that they do an overseas account, can this be operated with a card, does anyone know?[/quote]

AFAIAA it is not possible to open a card-carrying current account with Nationwide with an address in France; or else I would open one like a shot. We do have an account with Nationwide IOM - opened since we moved to France - but it is just a savings account.

ErnieY wrote:

'Previous still unchanged @ 1.3177

Personally I'm thinking it was a screwup and there is nothing they can do about it, I hope !'

Having today searched the rates for Monday and found the same values as you I think you might well be right.

Sue

[quote user="Belle"]  just had another thought, can you give a friends address to open an account, then tell them after a while that you are now living in france.[/quote]

I have heard tell of people having done just that in the past, but I am not sure how it was done and whether it would be possible today.

Sue

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]

It may sound obvious Ernie but have you checked the conversion on your statement?

May it have actually been a printing error?

[/quote]Confusing comment JR ?

I am getting these numbers from my statement but as we are talking about transactions which took place but a couple of days ago I'm accessing it online so no 'printing' involved.

At any rate (ha) I have a paperless A/C anyway so the only printing which takes place is what I choose to do from NW the website for my own records.

[quote user="Cat"]Hard to imagine what anyone could use as supporting documentation for proof of address, as they would need utility bills in their name at the given address.[/quote]It's been suggested that it could be a good idea to pay say the water bill for one of your kids in UK thus acquiring a utility bill in your own name. Whether this would be enough to open a UK bank A/C these days I couldn't say, not being on the electoral register would likely be a showstopper I'd say [blink]