Winter Fuel Allowance

Ron Avery

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wools, you're only saying that to make people envious.  "Brilliant on the beach" indeed. 

We've had all sorts here, apart from sunshine that is.  Rain, clouds, mist, fog (freezing and non-freezing), thunder......really unremittingly dreadful.  Then, there is the wind which blew away all the bâches from our various woodpiles and we are left with soggy, sodden logs that won't burn.............

Winter fuel allowance?  Would just be grateful for winter fuel!

Has any one just seen the 'Politics show' on BBC1 this lunch time it had a group of expats live in the south west, posing this very question and thinking it unfair!

Very interesting

One thing that was said was that the pound could reach as low as LESS than 1 euro by the spring!

Edit: Norman beat me to it!!

Ah the Politics Show, I wondered when it was going to be shown. It was recorded a couple of weeks back and centered on a group from Quillan and the surrounding hamlets. There is some history with a few couples that were in the film. Most of them meet in Quillan on a Wednesday lunch (its market day) at the bar behind where they were filmed and only one in the group makes any effort to integrate. There was an email circulated prior to the filming telling people that they might 'hear something to their advantage'. A few people, when they realised it was nothing of a sort, walked away. I didn't go by the way but one of the people there did say it was rather biased the way questions were asked by the production team to the point where the person felt that people were being coached in their responses although, as I said,  not being there I can't confirm if this is true or not.

As to it being cold well it was 22 deg in the sun at lunchtime, I could have quite easily have eaten my lunch on the terrace if it weren't for the fact I have just re-painted the chairs I would have. In fact if it were not for some rain last week the weather has been rather good, much better than up north. Most of these people have retired early, they have a  pension, its paid in sterling but they have lost about 25% of their income due to exchange rates and are quite frankly getting desperate for money and of course they don't work. Some are members of a cricket club (would you belief) 5km outside Quillan, they not only meet for lunch on Wednesdays but at least one other day a week.

You may have worked out that I don't really have much time for them as I live some way out of Quillan in a different village and to be blunt they should have done their homework and knew about this before they came if its such a big thing to them.

I actually think that Terry Rooney (Chair of Works and Pensions Select Committee) was spot on. As to me, well I am not old enough yet to get this allowance but I knew that if I live here I won't get it. It would be nice if I did but I never expected it. Instead I save a little money every month and budget my fuel bills, well after 7 years I should know what to expect by now bill wise

[quote user="sweet 17"]

That really is tough, Steve.  I wouldn't even know how to go about proving something so complicated.  Yet, we're supposed to live in a computerised impersonal society where everyone is reduced to a number and watched by Big Brother.

She's not been in the espionage business whereby she's assumed so many identities that she's impossible to track down, has she?

Sorry, in the recent dreadful weather, I've been reduced to reading too many spy stories.............

[/quote]

Espionage business.........[:D][:D][:D]

Unfortunately not, mostly unpaid, voluntary charity work (no credits for that)[:(]

The moral of the saga is......record your NI number and store the record in a number of different places, even with friends and family. If the only record is in your home and it burns to the ground you are, quite possibly, stuffed. There speaks the voice of (unfortunate) experience.

[quote user="NormanH"]The main person being interviewed said he was on a 'modest' Police pension.
I can't imagine that that is less than £15,000 a year...

maximum pension of ½ final salary plus a fixed lump sum of 4 times the pension

maximum pension after 35 years

[/quote]

He will be OK because he, if he has no other income, will be able to claim the 200€ fuel allowance in France  if he heats by oil.