No bell-ringing nonsense in France!

menthe

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12966259/Why-patients-want-cruel-cancer-free-bells-banned-ritual-America-mounting-anger-terminally-ill-list

Norman, are you there?  I believe we talked about this between us and we were both extremely against.

Whatever the significance of this practice, I dislike it on many levels.  Not least of which is that cancer is not something you could ever be free of.  The only way you could be free of it is after you have died and the post mortem shows that you have died of something else.

• Like 1

I have always disliked this, since I have had one of my cancers return after two years, and then metastases on the liver 5 years later from the same one. The other cancer has remained in remission but one knows that nothing is certain, so this empty celebration is more wishful thinking than anything else.

Besides giving false hope and possibly lead to lack of vigilance on the patient's part.  For example, if you think you are "free" of cancer, you might not be on the look-out for symptoms of its return or its spread.

Being on the qui vive could mean your survival.

• Like 1

Yes, Riggers, sometimes you just have to face reality.  It's not always in your power, or anyone else's to change it.

Ringing a bell in this context is irrelevant.  Here is John Donne's famous poem to ponder.

For whom the Bell Tolls

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

4 hours ago, menthe said:

Besides giving false hope and possibly lead to lack of vigilance on the patient's part.  For example, if you think you are "free" of cancer, you might not be on the look-out for symptoms of its return or its spread.

Being on the qui vive could mean your survival.

Quite, could not agree more.  Especially since I've just today had my second 3-month clear report - but need to go at least a year before anything changes .. but as you say, dear Menthe, one is never totally free of cancer .. until death, of course.  Sorry to be morbid, but you know that is true, as see above, so does NormanH and I presume several more on here. Still, I shall celebrate my news for one evening, at least!

• Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

I remember our conversation, and I agree with your perspective. This practice feels insensitive and overlooks the harsh reality of cancer. It's important to approach such rituals with empathy and understanding for those affected by the disease.