The car tested today !!!!

Henry100

11am appointment made for the car to be tested to get my little sticker to say for the next 2yrs it was safe at the time of testing,

I spent yesterday Jet spraying all the underside and washing and polishing the body work and then the oil change/oil filter:air filter and greasing all the points Tyre's checked and the coolant /lights what could go wrong ??????

The test center is about 30min drive away, or should i say was 30min drive away !!!! The amount of speed ramps that have now been built has to be seen to be believed ,

But as always i like to be there early rather than late, Up and had breakfast and checked the bird feeders had plenty of sun flower seeds in them / water &/the balls of seed  for the little birds, Gates open and the final check "My wallet, driving papers (Insurance / docs

And the cars papers (registration doc's "Log book in the old way of saying it"

It was then  things started to go wrong, the car registration book was missing, I had it Pre bed time, But it had gone walkies & with out it no chance of any Nice little sticker for my wind screen, Well we both looked every place we thought it would be !!! The car's owners wallet !!!!" NO, the dash   area !!!! NO, My wallet !!!!!! NO,  (Times ticking away now) and then the glove dept !!!! NO

And then (Her indoors asked Is this what your looking for???   Yes YES & another YES? It was in my inside jacket pocket all the time,

We arrived with just 3mins to spare and then sat for an hour while the car was checked, The Inspector came into the office with his normal stiff face (in 19yrs i have never seen him smile, Not the sort of chap you'd invite to an happy hour) It was then he said i was looking forward to seeing your car , I enjoy doing cars like yours

i do not see many like yours In fact yours is the only one i have seen,

I am waiting for the Yes or No (has this car passed or not ?) It was then he  walked out opened the car door and stuck that little white sticker on the inside windscreen, A pass and a nice drive to the village for a little shop  & the start of a nice day,

My Kangoo will be 25 this year. Nowadays she doesn't get a lot of use, just to and from the dechetterie. When we imported her into the UK, amongst other things, we had to have the speedo replaced before she could be registered. Around 10 years ago the UK speedo failed. Fortunately we still had the original. Every time she goes in for the C.T. the mechanic comments on the low mileage. I tend not to enlighten him.😉

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lehaut said:

I cannot think of the last car I searched round for grease nipples with a grease gun!

Are sure your car has not got any? ie  the the front bottom wishbone area ? When did you look at your owners manual book  ?

My wife's car is a Nissan x trail and that has a few grease nipples plus other things that if look after and given a little oil every year will give no problems such as the door/ boot locks , The things some people take for granted like the wheel nuts, /Wiper  blades / battery terminals greased / Even wear on the Tyre's front to rear and rear to front ? You can save your self the cost of front Tyre wear due to the front Tyre's doing more work than the rear due to the front steering the vehicle and more wear here, by changing the front to the rear & the rear to the front you'll get a much more even "rubber wear, I could go on "But knowing we're your vehicle needs the greasing packing and use of the grease gun is something that is your interest in your vehicle"

I have been a keen (petrol head) for years) and take pride and understanding what makes a vehicle work,

23 hours ago, DaveLister said:

My Kangoo will be 25 this year. Nowadays she doesn't get a lot of use, just to and from the dechetterie. When we imported her into the UK, amongst other things, we had to have the speedo replaced before she could be registered. Around 10 years ago the UK speedo failed. Fortunately we still had the original. Every time she goes in for the C.T. the mechanic comments on the low mileage. I tend not to enlighten him.😉

Miles on your speed dial has nothing to do with pass or fail of the test, If you we're selling the vehicle and then it is a question that may be asked,

The wear on the engine/ gear box And moving parts will be greater the miles the car has done,

Why hide behind not just telling the examiner "it is not the first speedo (as your calling it) in the car?

Why all the hiding the fact stuff?

1 minute ago, Henry100 said:

Miles on your speed dial has nothing to do with pass or fail of the test

which is exactly why I don't bother explaining why a 25yr old car that has been in the same hands since new has been re-registered four times and gone through, amongst other things, two odometers. I also don't mention that she's had a complete respray.

• Thanks 2

A lot of people take driving or should I say being transported in what is a metal cage really for granted,

Not a lot of thought into if the vehicle is not safe and would not stop when needed due to bad or no servicing/care of the vehicle /it's parts such as worn Tyre 's  worn out brakes, bad lighting, the list never ends until the accident and then "after someones death or Injury the questions are asked  "WHY" why did the driver not know the Tyre was bald ? Those brakes have not worked correctly for a long time.( That squeaking noise when brakes applied!!!!) it could'nt be metal hitting metal ???

It is the drivers job to know what he/she is driving and his lack of care only goes to show We need these vehicle test to get the vehicles on the road that are not road worthy off the road and the driver also off the road,

Did you know it is the Law here in France to have Vis vest in your car for at least the driver ?

But having said this just read the papers how many drivers have no Insurance or have never passed any test ? Never mind the Uninsured car And if you are not road worthy "even if you have an insurance active policy your NOT covered,

People come to spend 6 and 6 months here in France without Informing their Insurance company they are here for a long stay (anything after 4 weeks is a long stay) and think they have insurance "until the claim goes in for damage etc and the fun then starts when the claim is refused due to no insurance cover for over seas cover after 4 weeks.

Check your Insurance "give them a call and check out what i am saying !!!! It is worth a phone call for peace of mind, and check your car to see if it is safe,?

Your life not mine.

21 minutes ago, DaveLister said:

which is exactly why I don't bother explaining why a 25yr old car that has been in the same hands since new has been re-registered four times and gone through, amongst other things, two odometers. I also don't mention that she's had a complete respray.

Would you buy a car off this man ? or better still a used speedo????

10 hours ago, DaveLister said:

You would be better off knowing where your grease points on the 25yr old Kangoo are, The make is known for hand brake problems mostly due to lack of greasing and Yes there are greasing points on the Kangoo the wheels have grease points for a start.