cold showers

menthe

Is there anybody on the Forum who take these?

I do but I started them by sheer accident.  One day, we had no hot water because I turned the thermostat too low, or perhaps off altogether, in error. 

After my first cold shower, I was hooked so I enjoyed them all through the unseasonal warm weather in the autumn.  Didn't think I'd continue with them once the cold arrives.  But, it's now cold, single figures day and night.

I haven't stopped the cold showers but I have stopped coughing (always coughing due to asthma and emphysema).

Does anyone have any experience of this?  I shall be MOST interested in hearing how you get on with them?

PS.  Since I have started doing this, I have looked up cold showers and, of course, found out about Wim Hof who has been nicknamed the Ice Man.  Not by the man himself, he is modest and doesn't claim any medical qualifications.

Lori, I'm completely stupefied.  Never in a million years would I even do this for a bet or a dare yet here I am looking forward to my cold shower every night, before bed!!!

Can't understand it but apparently lots of people are doing this😆

On this I am more with Lori, than Menthe .. I didn't used to mind the cold, now I do  more ... doesn't help the joints .. though I do agree that lower temperatures do help breathing.  I have a lukwarm shower rather than a hot one,  .. but a cold one, or even a cold swim - - no way!

Judith, I didn't know that "lower temperatures do help breathing", so thank you for that.

Yes, you guess it, I am trying to find reasons for carrying on with these cold showers.  I do get an initial shock but, after that, and especially when I am towelling myself dry, I actually feel a glow of warmth all over.

It IS very odd and I don't really know any scientific or other evidence for this but it is true that I enjoy the showers😀

I only worked that out as when OH puts on the log fire and gets it up to quite a temperature, it's usually been too hot for me, and when I go somewhere cooler I find my chest feels much better. Think about those who used to got to the sanatoriums in Switzerland etc, to  help with consumption etc ..it's also to do with clearer air, but crsiper conditions seem to help too (but not too cold!).

Edited by Judith