Letter confirming accommodation

Le Petomane

We have invited my brother-in-law in the UK to stay with us at the end of September. He is a worrier and a stickler for the rules, (he used to be a magistrate) and he wants us to send him a letter confirming that he will be staying here with us. Has anyone ever heard of such a letter being asked for by French border officials?

am... it might not be a strict requirement by French border officials, having a letter of invitation can serve as a helpful document to assure your brother-in-law and potentially ease the immigration process.

While this letter may not be mandatory, it can provide your brother-in-law with peace of mind, especially if he tends to be cautious.

It's always a good idea to check the latest travel requirements and recommendations from the French embassy or consulate in the UK, just to be sure there haven't been any recent changes in entry procedures or documentation.

On 05/09/2023 at 19:56, Loiseau said:

I should just do one for him; he will then stop worrying you. 

I agree.  You could provide him with a letter confirming his stay with you and other relevant details, such as the dates of his visit and your contact information. This could give him peace of mind and potentially be helpful if he is asked for documentation upon arrival in France.