Alcatraz.

Ken

In a few weeks I'm off to swim the Alcatraz to San Francisco swim. Have done it several times with varying results, primarily because of the strong tides. Get it wrong and you end up in Japan!!! This year I hope to win it! Well at least my age group and only then because I could be the only one in it. I've read all sorts of stuff about how San Francisco has deteriorated due to crime and drugs over the last year though  I'm not particularly concerned.  These 'problems' are usually in one area and in any event, after the swim, I'm off down the coast road to Disneyland where the only people who are 'high' are big kids like me!!!

You do realise that if you don’t make it to San Francisco you will become a myth on French forums.

Did Ken survive ? Was he doing a Reginald Perrin ? Was he adopted by dolphins ? Did he float unconscious to Japan where he was then turned into an expensive soup.

We will be talking about it for days. It might reach 2 or 3 posts. 😀

Edited by alittlebitfrench

4 hours ago, Hectorsdad said:

That’s really impressive! How far is it and how long does it take? 

It's not that far actually, around three kilometres, unless of course you are swept out of the bay and then it's several thousand to Japan!! The water is cold but not not too bad, some do it without a wet suit. me, I'm a wimp and wear one along with most. Several hundred make the attempt from three boats that takes us to the Island for the start. Jumping 30 feet down into the bay  from the boat then swimming to the start is always a bit problematical, goggles get washed off, bumping into others etc. but then it's off!! 

Super dooper swimmers do it in around 30 mins, I take around 50 mins although there are always plenty behind me. Many in fact don't make it and have to be picked up. As far as I'm aware no one has ever drowned!!! The big factor is the tide, get it right and it helps tremendously, get it wrong, as I did a couple of years ago, and I only just made after some very hard swimming. This year I will get it absolutely spot on!!! I want that prize!!!

3 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

You do realise that if you don’t make it to San Francisco you will become a myth on French forums.

Did Ken survive ? Was he doing a Reginald Perrin ? Was he adopted by dolphins ? Did he float unconscious to Japan where he was then turned into an expensive soup.

We will be talking about it for days. It might reach 2 or 3 posts. 😀

Two or three posts, that many? One or two here will be hoping the odd shark comes my way!!!!

8 hours ago, Hectorsdad said:

I hope you are going to report your success after the event. Good luck!

Which day are you swimming, July 22nd or August 5th?

I think you have your dates and competitions a little mixed!! The Alcatraz swim is on the 26th August. (USA) The dates you posted refer to the cross bay swim in St Jean de Luz. (France) I am doing that swim too, it's a decent pre-Alcatraz training swim, around 2k. The St Jean swim, as you noted is carried out  twice. I'm doing it on the 5th August. 

On 18/07/2023 at 09:31, Hectorsdad said:

I must have been carried away by a rip tide and missed the detail of what I was reading. Will check it again.

On 18/07/2023 at 09:31, Hectorsdad said:

I must have been carried away by a rip tide and missed the detail of what I was reading. Will check it again.

I have to correct the St Jean de Luz date it's the 15th August not the 5th!!