HIFX for transfers to France. Good or Bad?

richyrich2

I used them when we first moved out here and they were very good, as Bob T has told you.

For my latest move, I got in touch and asked whether I could still use my account.  They said I'd have to go through all the money-laundering stuff again and, as I was short of time, I used Caxton FX with whom I also have an account, also very good.

Then on the recommendation of Cathy, amongst one or two others, I opened an account with Moneycorp and they were also excellent.

So, you see, you'd be spoilt for choice.

Used them for my house purchase and a couple of times since, good company and no problems..

Not happy to hear that I might have to re-register to use them again, what's that all about for existing and established customers ?

What a sh1tty world of dishonesty and mistrust we live in [:@]

[quote user="AnOther"]

Not happy to hear that I might have to re-register to use them again, what's that all about for existing and established customers ?

[/quote]

Yes, but when they heard that it was Mrs SW17, the alarms bells rang. Plus the fact that the original transaction was 43 years ago, you can't blame them for being wary. [;-)] 

Erns, I hadn't used them for about 4 years so if you are a more recent customer than I, you might be fine.

I'd have been happy to have done all the identification and proof of residence bit except I was off on my Spanish adventure and we were signing the afternoon before I left.  There just wasn't the time for the faff.

I've found that the exchange rate for a one-off transfer via the internet with HiFX is very competitive, especially if you can transfer a minimum of £5000. It's certainly much better than the rate for a regular monthly transfer. The internet transfer is also very transparent - you can see the effect of fluctuations in the exchange rate on a near-real-time basis.

[quote user="Gardian"][quote user="AnOther"]

[/quote]

Yes, but when they heard that it was Mrs SW17, the alarms bells rang. Plus the fact that the original transaction was 43 years ago, you can't blame them for being wary. [;-)] 

[/quote]

Look, I was like not even BORN 43 years ago?  And, no, of COURSE, I'm NOT fibbing about that![:P]

Good to hear that there is the choice.

For us we registered with this company many years ago you can either transfer online as little as £3000.00 or phone and transfer by direct debit ( and thats bliss for a panicky person like me!) and the rate is as good as HIfix and sometimes even better !

Worth a look here.........

http://www.torfx.com/

Mrs MBK

Thanks everyone. Sounds a good outfit. Was hoping to transfer approx 1000Euro/month and using french debit card, instead of paying £20 in nationwide charges. From their site, there seems to a near bank rate exchange rate and no fees. Have I missed something in the small print? thanks

follow up: Catch is not brilliant exchange rate! NW still competitive.

The rate you will get for smaller sums, and £1000 is very small in context, will be worse than for larger ones. The likes of HiFX make their money by scraping a tiny fraction off the rate but as it costs them exactly the same to process £1000 as it does £1,000,000 clearly the relative cost for small sums will be greater.

If you can transfer money in say 6 month or annual lumps you will get a better deal rate wise.

Also doing it monthly means that you get whatever the rate is at the time whereas transferring larger sums at a time of your choosing enables you to play the market to a small degree and transfer when the rate is most advantageous, just as you probably did before with your NW card(s)