Do French mixer taps fit in U.K. plumbing system?

Have applied for permission to renovate a property in France. To help fund this I am purchasing a property to renovate in U. K which needs new shower and sinks. It seems to me that shower units , mixer taps ,etc. are cheaper in France and I am considering purchasing French items.

BUT......are these taps compatible with u.k. standard 15mm. diameter copper pipe?

In the Brico-Depot brochure the mixers (mitigeurs) are described as having "Cartouche diam. 35mm., corps diam 40mm .....or 40mm. and 50mm respectively , or even : cartouche 25mm"

How do these sizes relate to the copper pipe diameter?

Obviously, I am NOT a plumber!

Cassiea9

Posting in another place which has a large amount of detail about French plumbing versus UK. I would make sure you purchase a thermostatic mixer tap for the shower. The tap connections remain Imperial 3/4 - 1/2 or 3/8 irrespective of which side of the Channel you buy them

http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=188

Waste pipes are not compatable but traps I think are.

I have done this many times for UK customers requiring thermostatic showers and unusual bathroom fittings (sinks etc)

One thing to watch out for is the French water pressure is generally higher than the UK. It was necessary to install a booster pump on one job as the pressure was so poor the thermostatic shower would not work properly.

UK thermostatic showers are designed to use our low pressure system.

As an add on for the OP taps do not connect directly to the copper pipe. A union connects to the copper pipe and your taps connect to the union.

French unions will not fit a UK copper pipe but the threaded portion of a UK union, to which the tap connects, is the same thread size as in France.

My Dorset neighbor had just had to remove from his shower a French bought thermostatic mixer...As previously posted the "cheap " French one was useless as they did not have enough pressure to work it properly ... He paid about 25 euros in Brico Depot for it and has ended up having to pay £70 for one in the UK and swap them over to get a shower !

We were just told that yesterday at a bathroom suppliers - we hadn't known about that! We mentioned that we had Grohe in France, and she said she could get them for us here in UK, but they wouldn't work as well, as our pressure in UK is not as good.

You do learn lots of good stuff on this forum!

Jo

• 2 months later...
Hi Theire ...I wonder if you can help...Ive got a lovely shower next to a hot water tank....but its leaking...Icant "get in " because I cant remove the index caps!..Theres no sign of Alan key holes...Im sure its just the caps are stuck...But there again it may be something esoteric!...Ive tried to prise them out with the usual screwdrivers/picks etc...thouht of drilling?????

If you are talking about the bezels that cover the holes where the pipes or gabarit for the shower mixer exit the wall then they are screwed on (right hand thread) you should be able to remove themwith pipe grips, preferably plastic lined ones if you want to re-use the bezels, teye will probably be stiff due to pipe sealer and hemp being used.

Hi Chancer...thanks for your reply..no its not the bezels...just the blue and red cold/hot indicators in the centre of the tap..these usually flip out to enable you to undo a screw...These are so solid as to seem they might not be flippable! Im thinking about drilling them out...they dont respond to a pick or screwdiver...Id like to think its just age or heat but Im not sure...Its an old (70s?) wall mounted mixer which is self adjustable...would prefer to replace washers rather than reach for an angle grinder!