On-line Card Transaction

John Brown

Hi,

I bank with CA Central and when I go to transfer a small amount of money on-line ( which I've done before many times ) I am now asked to verify the transaction.

When I'm taken to the verification screen and asked to enter a code, the phone rings and a pre-recorded message says something about not understanding the response.

What am I missing ? I'm confused because the phone rings before I get the chance to enter anything.

John

• 1 month later...
I bank with CA and they insisted I give them a mobile number. When you do a transaction online they send a 4 digit code via text message which you feed into their verify screen. Perhaps they are trying to send the code to your landline?

[quote user="John Brown"]…the phone rings before I get the chance to enter anything.[/quote]

As Jay suggests, the phone-call is to tell you the one-off code that you are required to enter.  Unlike Jay, mine comes as a voice message.  The four digits will be spoken twice:  slowly, very distinctly, and one at a time. 

Just make sure that your telephone is in the vicinity of the keyboard, et voilà.

I think most of the banks are doing this now. With BP you can have a card reader and put your card in the reader to activate the transfer. Problem is you pay for that so it's the old SMS messaging for me. They are very canny these banks, PB used to charge for Internet banking, now its free but unless you want to hang around for a SMS message for every transaction you do on the Internet you need a box, which strangely costs the same amount an average BP client would spend when they were charged to use Internet banking. Then I look at it this way if I stay with the SMS messaging at least I'm getting some money back from the bank as it must be costing them something, somewhere to send the text. I gather that in Holland you need one of these machines and you must have your 'card' connected to the computer to do any form of banking or buying over the Internet. It has made the level of fraud drop greatly but I suspect the forgers won't be far behind.

Slight change of subject but has anyone got one of theses Barclay Cards that you don't have to swipe or put in a machine (like the advert on the telly). It's just that I was thinking how long it took the UK to bring in PIN codes for cards then with this card you only seem to have to 'wave it around' of some machine and that's it. How does it protect people who have had their card stolen yet don't know right away?

[quote user="ITMA"]Quillan, can you tell me why you deleted my post?[8-)][/quote]

Probably human error: the post after it had been placed by a spammer this morning and whoever deleted it was possibly suffering from dodgy aim.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="ITMA"]Quillan, can you tell me why you deleted my post?[8-)]
[/quote]

Sorry about that, I'm not very good at splitting posts to delete a spammer, I thought it was OK but obviously not, I'll try and put it back but don't hold your breath.

Edit.: Actually I can't find any deleted posts for this thread which is strange so I can't put it back, sorry.

Edit Again.: I think thats it back in place now.