UK Bank Account

Loirette

Hi

Does anyone know if there are any banks in the UK which will allow you to open an account with them whilst living in France?  Basically, I am looking for a sterling account with cheque book and online banking facilities for direct debits etc and with no minimum deposit or monthly bank charges.  I know most say no because of the money laundering aspect, but wondered if there were any banks who were prepared to accept you as a customer. 

I use Bank of Scotland, Jersey and have found them very efficient. We were previously with HSBC Jersey who threatened to charge us heavily if we didn't keep a large amount in our current account. We told them to get s*****d and haven't regretted it.

• 4 months later...
I would recommend keeping your UK Bank account  - I've had one with HSBC since the 1980's which costs nothing to maintain (apart from filling in form 3916 every year) and is useful for standing orders and pretending to Sky that I'm still UK resident. Once you've left the UK you will find it difficult to open any other accounts, and the regular demands from offshore banks for certified passport copies, utility bills etc are tedious. Many offshore banks also demand a minimum balance (e.g.£5,000 for Lloyds TSB).