Forms A1 & S1 when selling house

Olivermac2

Hi,

We are UK resident (so Non-EU or EEA) and are in the process of selling our second home in France but have not used an estate agent. We have been asked to provide these two forms and are unsure as to why? Do we apply to HMRC here in the U.K. who complete them and return them to us?
We contacted HMRC who are of the opinion - in a nutshell - that they are for Healthcare Cover for U.K. people who are intending to work temporarily in France. On a legal site it states these documents must be produced for exemption of CGT and Social Tax but we know that because of our status (second home, Non-EU resident) we are not exempt from these taxes.

I would appreciate any info from someone who is in the same situation.

As you suggest, the Notaire probably wants to establish whether or not you are liable to social contributions on any capital gain you will make on your sale.

As you are not French residents you are liable to these payments, so I suggest you inform the Notaire of this.

I don't know if this is appropriate, but I only learned it last weekend.  We were asked by some UK friends to help them out with a local roofer to survey their roof, and two estate agents to put the house on the market (holiday home).  One of the estate agents explained that, post Brexit,  UK residents involved in a house sale for over €150,000 now have to have a professional accountant (at their cost) to review the sale to calculate the "plus value"  (capital gains tax to pay).  Under this ceiling and for French residents, this is done by the Notaire.

Has anyone else heard of this?

• 4 months later...