H1 impots locaux queries

jen

Just received the H1 form - anyone know if there is an english translation online.

I am trying to decipher the accompanying letter and from what I can make out it would appear that we have been sent this following the recent renovations which we have been carrying out and that we have 90 days to complete form, even though work hasn't finished but form can be completed if the house is habitable.

I also understand that this tax is calculated on the potential rental value of the property, and was wondering if we will get one of these forms each year - should I include additional bathrooms now even though they're not finished etc, and do they ever carry out property inspections to check you have declared all work?

Also are the bands for the taxe fonciere published anywhere pnline

When we got this form following our extension build we had to tell them (EDIT In a separate letter) whether the work was finished, if not was the building habitable, and if not that either, then when did we think it would be finished.

"Habitable" to them means having doors and windows installed, I think. Not necessarily freshly decorated and furnished and ready to move in!

Having completed the form you then get (or at least, we did) a couple of years on the old level of foncieres before a whopping increase. [:-))]

Due to the previous proprietor having failed to notify several changes and improvements, and then moving to Spain, we got stung by a huge increase when Simple Sid filled in the H1 correctly to the last detail. They cunningly don't show you what was on the previous declaration.

I've no idea how the foncieres are calculated, and having seen some recent posts on here about BIG increases I'm concerned about my next bill.

Having read your post about the previous owner not having notified the Impots of changes, and thus you were stung with a huge increase in the fonciere, is it possible to check if the fonciere has been reassessed before purchasing a property?

I know the present owner has done alterations but don't know whether he will have notified the Impots.

I'm sure it should be possible to check but just don't know if that info is in the public domain or not. Could I just go and ask the Impots what the fonciere is?

Laurier

The H1 form used to be rare but not so rare now as local taxes increase.

I posted recently on a significant increase in the Taxe Foncière but I cant find the thread.

Yesterday I passed by the Parthenay Centre des Finances to follow up the increase and to establish the reasons.

The Centre des Finances was firmly shut in recognition of the " pont du weekend du quatorze juillet.

I shall pop in sometime next week when I have a spare moment.

And tell you all about it.

When I purchased, the compromis had a detailed description of the property as it had been when the previous owners bought it. At the time of the sale to me he updated this to include the changes made by the people I bought it from. Presumably the details on the compromis are recorded somewhere when each successive sale goes through? So if the description of the house as per your compromis is correct, you can assume that the records are up to date? Or maybe not ...

[quote user="Laurier"]Having read your post about the previous owner not having notified the Impots of changes, and thus you were stung with a huge increase in the fonciere, is it possible to check if the fonciere has been reassessed before purchasing a property? I know the present owner has done alterations but don't know whether he will have notified the Impots. I'm sure it should be possible to check but just don't know if that info is in the public domain or not. Could I just go and ask the Impots what the fonciere is? Laurier[/quote]

I don't know if it's possible to check, sorry.

we did like Sid did....filled our form in with all the neccessary luxuries we had when we bought the house....two sinks, hot and cold running water, indoor toilet, central heating. And got stung with a massive (and i mean 300 to 1200 euro increase) in fonciere. All because, according to the functionaries, the house hadn't changed since 1970. I suggest you tell them nothing. It's the last time I fill in an H1 correctly!

Thanks anyway. I will have to try and look into it. I don't want (as you guys had) a nasty surprise in finding out the fonciere is vastly different to what I was expecting because alterations by the present owner haven't been reassessed by the Impots.

regards

Laurier