Vide Greniers - Stolen Items

We got the dreaded phone call last weekend to say our place in Verteuil (Dept 16 near Ruffec) had been broken in to. Loads of stuff was taken. If anyone is going to a vide grenier in the near future and fancies playing detective looking out for items that they may try to sell, then I can email you a list of some of the more recognisable items with photos.

Have got over being sad and am now hopping mad! I would love to think that these b-----ds could be caught. I know it's a long shot but ....

Hope it doesn't happen to anyone else

Linda

• 2 months later...
This is the problem with owning second homes. Locals who cannot afford property because house prices have been pushed up by second home owners retaliate by stealing or vandalism. In wales second homes were burnt down. In Cornwall locals cannot compete with second home owners for property. In France a reaction against second home ownership is growing among the french. Maybe things will be better if people stopped distorting local low wage areas and cease buying two homes.

Turnip, I sincerely hope you are not trying to justify dishonest actions.

Lets not forget that the person who profits most from the sale of a house is the seller, usually French!

It is also true that many Brits buy properties that have been discarded as uninhabitable by the French. The Brits (or Dutch) make them into homes and in the fullness of time they often return to the housing 'stock'

We have discussed the problem of the British buying up everything before and I agree with Turnip.  There are definate rumblings now as the British buy EVERYTHING around me.  Of course, this may not true where you live.

As for the burglars, there was a lot of this around here.  The gang were British.

Just to clarify things a bit (don't know why I should, but ..). This property is the only one we own. We don't own a house in England. Obviously the locals don't know this and like Turnip assume we must have money to afford both (if only). You really shouldn't go through life making assumptions based on what little you know Turnip. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!

The property had been empty for many years before we bought it and the seller is is very much in favour of our plans for it.

Needless to say none of the stolen items have turned up and it does make you wonder if they were British burglars as they took the teapot and left the cafetiere!

Have a nice day

Linda

Turnip,

Your attempt at psychological profiling with regard to Linda's regretful incident, is I'm afraid nothing more than conjecture on your part. Perhaps you would like to research the subject further and report back on how many second homes owned by Parisians are targeted by criminal elements, as I think you'll find that most French would rather have an Englishman living next door than a Parisian!

It is an unfortunate fact of life that for some Brits seeking homes abroad, they have no wish to integrate with local society their primary aim being to establish themselves in a 'British Community', close to a supermarket selling 'British' food, with a checkout staffed by English speaking  staff, not forgetting the good old 'Coach and Horses' traditional English pub serving real English beer. This lifestyle is also going to attract the criminal element, and as has already been stated - they are usually of the same nationality as their victims!

House prices anywhere are governed by the market and demand. A reasonably priced house within a small agricultural commune is unlikely to attract locals simply because there is probably more than enough property to supply the local populous needs. However, the French would rather see a property sold to anyone who is willing to maintain said property, and contribute to the community, than allow a property to stand empty and neglected.

Ask yourself this question, "Why is there not an influx of French buying property in the UK?" It has nothing to do with property prices! If I was after making a quick euro, I certainly wouldn't be contemplating property purchase in rural France!

If you really want to know what upsets the locals, try obtaining a detailed devis for a major restoration - then once armed with all the requirements, suggestions, etc, commence the job yourself! There will come a day when you need the services of an artisan but word travels fast and if you can obtain their services, you will pay. Or, inform an artisan he has got the job but then return to the UK without the decency to inform the craftsman of your plans. It is not about being English, it's about treating someone like a fool and expecting them to be at your beck and call when the need arises.

This has a knock on effect and one bad apple can spoil it for the rest. 

That is my 10 pennorth on the subject.

Daryl