Putting on Weight

I am having great problems trying to control my weight since coming to live in France. Have managed to lose some, but have got to the stage where I am getting bored and need some encouragement.  Tried to join Weight Watchers UK on line but was informed it is illegal for me to access it from France (so much for the EU).   My French is not really good enough to understand all that  is going on at a French Slimming Club.  Has anyone got any ideas or perhaps in the same position as me and would like to help establish a self help group.   I live in the area St Jean d'Angeley, Saintes, Cognac

Lets not be too naive about Europe. I guess that Slimmerswhoever have got a nice licence and monopoly to trade in UK and not in other European countries and vice versa for their European counterparts. Just look at the whole mobile phone racket. Boundaries exist across Europe when it suits people or organisations. So, whatever you were doin was not illegal, more likely a restraint of trade. Look at the problem with BSkyB (is that the right name, I dont have TV).

To diet, there must be thousands of possibilities on the BBC website which dont involve starving yourself, or being pious about what you enjoy eating.

PS I aint slim either but 18 years between me and her is making me work at it!

Sadly, when I am in the Vendée I now trot along to the nearest Weight Watchers group, get weighed and listen to the lesson.   I have even been known to join in!   Helps my French and I get to meet some more people.   It's more expensive than England, and works in a different way to the English system.  The worst thing of all though, is that a croissant from the boulangerie is 4 points!!!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]Sadly, when I am in the Vendée I now trot along to the nearest Weight Watchers group, get weighed and listen to the lesson. I have even been known to join in! Helps my French and I get to meet som...[/quote]

Good Advice:

* Eat and drink everything in moderation - yes including a croissant a day if that is your thing!

* Write down all your good points and love yourself for who you are now, not an elusion of what you would like to be.

* Stop looking in mirrors and worrying! Do more gardening!

* If he does not love you for who you are, then you are with the wrong bloke! Trade him in for a new model! There are some good offers on this site!

* Enjoy your life and do not spoil it by imposing petty restrictions on yourself, remember life is for real and not a rehearsal!

Well said Athene.

Only I have trouble with 1) and 5), the moderation with the food and imposing petty restrictions on myself don't quite work together. I'm a bit of an hedonist really.

There are weightwatchers clubs of all types all over France.

[quote]Well said Athene. Only I have trouble with 1) and 5), the moderation with the food and imposing petty restrictions on myself don't quite work together. I'm a bit of an hedonist really. Ther...[/quote]

Nothing wrong with hedonism or being a little over weight. It is just where excess weight is proving a health problem that I think all these diets should come into their own. Mind you, I would hate to have to pay for someone to tell me to eat less in one of these clubs! I am quite capable of disiplining myself (when I feel like it! LOL!)!