info requested about deserted village.

Hi

I wondered if anyone knows about a village that someone in France told my son about and he wants to visit it when he's out next in November. It's supposed to have been evacuated in the second world war, I think, and has been left untouched. I think it begins with an O and may be somewhere around Limoges. All very vague, I know, but maybe someone has info

Thanks

Val

Just to say that I looked at the postings then found info about the town and am glad that we didn't know the name of it when at our French house in August. My son and his family were with us, as was the rest of my family, including my two 5-year old grandsons, and he had wanted us all to go there, obviously not knowing the true reason why the place is deserted. Not the place to take bouncy, noisy little ones, I think.It was very sad just reading about what happened there, so to actually go there must be much more so.

Thank you once again for the information and link.

Regards

Val

The last time I was there I saw several English familes who obviously had no idea what the significance of the place was, and could clearly not translate the French word 'Silence' into English, as they were letting their kids run about and shout, and even play/drop litter in the lieux de supplice...

The thing which moves me most is the sewing machines. As time goes on the only metallic objects left are the engine blocks of the cars and the cast-iron bodies of the sewing machines. In at least one case the machine has been put into a blind window opening. The machine is a banal object, but one which speaks volumes about the life which once went on in those houses and was stopped so brutally.

This is my account of the massacre (approved by proper French historians).

We've been several times taking visitors and I always come away feeling stunned that this atrocity happened. Each time we go, it's really good to see coach loads of French school kids at the site. I think every child in the region gets a chance to visit Oradour with their school, and so it should be.

Another good, deeply moving place to visit for me is the memorial to the resistance fighters up on a hill at Chasseneuil overlooking Charente.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, only just read this post so sorry for delay.

I havent visited Oradour yet as every time we go to france we seem to have someone with young children with us and we also feel it would be disrespectful to take them to this really sad place.

What I am writing for tho' is to tell you there is a really good booklet about the village which was written by a survivor of the atrocity.  I cannot remember the name of it but I do have a copy somewhere.  You can buy it at the village but I got mine off Amazon.

It really is worth reading you cannot believe someone would do this (but then, I suppose you would)

So sad!!

Paula