New Forum in Vendee

• 3 weeks later...

[quote user="Dick Smith"]I'm also very aware that there used to be a Boghound on this forum who was a pretty unpleasant troll. You aren't him, are you?
[/quote]

Yes that's right......but....I'd rather be an "unpleasant Troll" then someone that thinks they know all there is to know about a country but still doesn't live there full time[:P]  Perhaps you might also be interested in a new web site I also stumbled across: http://www.the-vendee.com [Www] but...there again perhaps not...As the "webmaster" is very particular with whom he communicates with.[8-)]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Should be right up your street, WBB, what with you in the Vendredi all week.

I don't get the joke, though. Can you explain?

[/quote]

Try "Flasher" &  can you recognise the "Male member" that you saw.

• 1 month later...

QUOTE:

...you might also be interested in a new web site I also stumbled across: http://www.the-vendee.com

I certainly was.   I should like to inform its webmaster that he has lifted two months'-worth of events listings word-for-word, directly from my own site.

He/she gives no way of being contacted, but I am sure you will be kind enough to pass this notice of copyright infringement on straight away.

Angela
www.the-vendee.co.uk

Digby,

If you care to look at Angela's site you will see that the site very clearly states  the following. All material on this website © Angela Bird unless otherwise indicated. Reproduction forbidden without written permission.

Is that not clear enough?

At best its just plain lazy and piggy backing on the work somebody else has done.

Just because basic information is available in the public domain it doesn't mean that anybody can just lift the results of another person's research and publish it elsewhere. The intellectual property rests with the person who collated the information, wrote the article, took the photograph or whatever.

[quote user="Boghound"]

...someone that thinks they know all there is to know about a country but still doesn't live there full time[:P] 

[/quote]

Since when has being a full-time resident of France been a necessary qualification for knowing about France and French life? That's ridiculous, it would debar most of the staff and many of the correspondents to Living France, France magazine and French Property News, to name just the publications linked to this site, from writing. [;-)]

Of course there is no copyright on the *information* itself.

But when person A takes that information and, in order to make it useful and comprehensible to others, has written it up in his/her own words, and then person B lifts *those exact words* and presents them as if they were his/her own work - that is where the infringement occurs.

There is of course nothing to prevent person B trawling round the same multifarious sources as those used by person A (or indeed other sources), and producing their OWN version of events listings.  However, if this had been the case you would expect that the events featured and the words used might vary slightly.
The only differences that I can see here is that I have recently added some new events, and person B does not seem to have woken up to that fact yet...

Angela

Erm, whilst I sympathise with your position and your indignation Loiseau, as this conversation relates to two other forums, it would be better carried out by PM between person A and person B (I don't think you'll have too much trouble working out who he is [Www] ).