New Forum in Vendee

Of course copyright in most cases rests with the author fact and fact  Hence the 'C' but I just wondered as a lawyer whose bag is not in this area where the origination of the web site was?  I presume the UK so therefore someone has lifted information from this site and populated their own thus not their original material.  I think a breach.  However what damage has been done save for someone not being let us say 100% up front and surely as a minimum it would have been nice to email asking whether it was possible to use the information.  Of course I am old and equally older today for its my birthday and very much a please and thank you sort of individual.

Will will know better than I but is there Copyright law in France knowing these kind souls I think they would protect their rights and privacies to the full?

As far as I know the copyright law in France is the same as the rest of Europe, and this has been broadly the case since the Berne Convention was signed in the 1880s (I think). An attempt was made to harmonise the rules a few years ago - as a result UK law changed in some details, such as it no longer being strictly necessary to use the copyright symbol, and it becoming very difficult for a publisher to claim copyright (though many will try) - that, as you rightly say, rests with the originator.

In a case like this it is of somewhat academic interest, because it is highly unlikely that any financial loss will have been suffered as a result of the copying. It is much more a lack of common courtesy and, apparently, ignorance of both correct practice and normal ettiquette among authors.

Happy birthday anyway, dragonrouge.

As far as I know the copyright law in France is the same as the rest of Europe, and this has been broadly the case since the Berne Convention was signed in the 1880s (I think). An attempt was made to harmonise the rules a few years ago - as a result UK law changed in some details, such as it no longer being strictly necessary to use the copyright symbol, and it becoming very difficult for a publisher to claim copyright (though many will try) - that, as you rightly say, rests with the originator.

In a case like this it is of somewhat academic interest, because it is highly unlikely that any financial loss will have been suffered as a result of the copying. It is much more a lack of common courtesy and, apparently, ignorance of both correct practice and normal ettiquette among authors.

Happy birthday anyway, dragonrouge.

Many happy returns dragon rouge.

My experience is that they are very hot on copyright issues in France. The Quimper Club (see my sig) produces a Journal, if we want to reproduce pictures from the Encyclopedia for instance, we have to contact the author and hope that he owns the item, if not we have to contact the photographer and sometimes the owner of the item - then we publish a credit - picture by kind permission of xxxxxx xxxxx.

There was once a mention of contacting the descendants of the original artist of the piece, but I heard no more

In this instance had the person involved contacted the author he may have had not only got permission but also been able to arrange reciprocal links, exchange of information etc - instead all that has been created is ill will. IMHO It's a cheap shot....