carpet fitter??

I don't think there are too many carpet fitters around as the French seem to prefer tiled floors, but why not try Saint-Maclou in Niort (Espace Mendes); they supply and fit carpet and may be able to put you in touch with a fitter?

Sid 

Thanks Sid, that's pretty much what we have found.

I think that our 30 year old house must be the only one in the area with carpets. We are preparing to market it and were looking to replace like with like, rather than go to the expense of tiling

Given the present cold snap and the obvious discomfort that it brings to our French neighbours, I wonder if there might be an opportunity for some entrepreneur to warm up these old places with some lovely sculptured shagpile!!

We've forgotten what it's like having carpet! Until we visit UK and go into someone's home and have to "wade" through the carpet.... !! Ha ha!

We have underfloor heating which is marvellous. One drawback to tiled floors... if you drop a cup or a plate, it WILL break!

From what I've seen carpet isn't fitted very well here; they seem to prefer glue to gripper rods etc. You'd be well advised to ask what method they'll use before making a contract.

Good luck.

Sid 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi

We have just carpeted about  72 sq metres (new bedrm, dressing etc) & brought all the carpet, underfelt etc from the UK. (in 2 trips!)

We got 2 quotes - and used an English chap from nearby - Vienne  Simon Wilson  054531 8303. There's another chap also - could track him down, but he's on the internet.  I can't remember his name but you could look on the 'other' forum (Totalfrance) where I was surprised at the response. None from this site.

French prices from St Maclou were more than double!

Regards

Tegwini

Thanks for the reply.  We've now put down some very cheap and cheerful cord from the Brico ourselves.  The stuff was like paper and easy to cut, but lies pretty well.  We are just giving this place a lift as it is going on the market to (hopefully) sell in the Spring.  If we were looking to do so for ourselves, then undoubtedly the way to do so would be just as you have done.  We are heading back to the UK next week and expect to return laden with decent quality paint and other materials for our new house.  We are also looking at sourcing some of the furniture and white goods from the south coast.  A friend near here did that and then just hired a van to hop over and bring everything back.  Even with the van hire and ferry crossing, there was a significant saving on French prices.

Glad to hear you're sorted!

We took up cheap (and nasty) glued down 'carpet',  and put down a good woollen wilton carpet, but we are not planning to sell at present.

And yes some stuff is cheaper in the UK - I've used ebay quite a bit for furniture, and yes it was cheaper even with the costs of our trailer on the ferry. But, we did combine it a few times in France with clearing house renovation and garden rubbish for the dechetterie.

We even carried a double oven on the roof rack, and a dishwaster with 'hidden switch console' inside the car - much cheaper in the UK

So quids in.

Good luck frexpt !

tegwini