Cranes - magical midnight moments

Just had one of those 'aaahhh' moments.

We had been out for a meal, returned and were relaxing with a cup of coffee on the terrace and enjoying the lovely mild evening - and it's midnight !!!

Suddenly we heard overhead a flock of the south-bound migrating cranes - 'chorus from heaven' - absolute delight....one of those moments of pure magic... clear sky, no moon, bright stars - and the song of the cranes going south.....

Sorry, it's after midnight - but I just had to share... I didn't know the cranes flew at night. We've been watching for them during this morning and afternoon (now the winds have died down) and hadn't seen any - can someone tell me whether this is likely to have been the first wave and there's more to fly over during the next few days...any one else spotted them flying south yet ?

Chessie

Hi Chessie.

I've seen them in the day and heard them at night too, when visiting friends in Charente. They don't pass over where I live, unfortunately.

It's one 'flight path' I would love to live under.

They don't all set off together, so if you're lucky you'll see some more.

What a fantastic moment that must have been.

I live under the flight path and have seen them every spring and autumn in great numbers flying directly over my house. One year there were about 3-4 hundred of them that 'stopped' and circled over our village for about five minutes before setting off again. But, so far this year I haven't seen a single one.  Looking on the LPO website, it's been fairly quiet so far but there are thousands on their way.  I shall just have to spend all my time in the garden so I don't miss them.

Perhaps it's a change in the weather patterns; yesterday (in Carshalton-sur-Mer) I saw a pair of Yellow Wagtails, which ought to be well on their way to Africa by now, and the ponds are covered in Canada Geese, who also ought to be somewhere else. Migration patterns seem to be out of whack this year due to the warm autumn.

I have recently returned after 5 weeks in my house in Grues a village on the edge of the Marais Poitevin , During my recent  stay I never saw one of our local  nesting birds so assume they left with their young  early September. In the fields are planted poles with what looks like a cart wheel on top and they are encouraged to nest on these.. From what I have seen they seemed to have  be well used  this year....  and the electricity poles ... and one pair of Cranes  I have  been watching produced two chics on a roadside  electricty pole . If anybody should find themselves visiting  this part of the Vendee and would like to see what the local bird life is up to ...may I suggest a visit to L' Aiguillon sur Mer . Go to the point  which looks out over the sea and the  Anse de L'Aiguillon . The area at the point is not very big ...but .there is an area for car parking  .It has a sandy beach on the sea side  looking out towards the bridge over to the Ile de Re from La Rochelle  and  a big area  of mud flats on the land side ... It is an important nature reserve and a bird migration observation area for this part of France ......so you will see lots of people with tripods and telescopes about . but dont expect to see a cafe .. a toilet ...or a tourist gift shop  !

. If you time your visit with the rise of the tide...  the salt marsh at the point is covered in little shallow creeks  ....so small you can step over them .( wellies are a good idea ) You will see the small mullet in large numbers coming into these creeks  with the tide .....in no more than 3 of 4 inches of water in places .....The egrets , comorants and other birds see them as well .....they gather and  hang about waiting for dinner to arrive ....and its quite amusing watching them as the fish jump out of the water round them ..You wont need binoculars big enougth  to study the moon .....they  will not be far away from you .... Was expecting to see lots of migrating birds this month .....did not... if its still warm enough up North I should think they are hanging back ?  

The point at L'Aiguillon can be stunning as I well know, Frederick, and it is one of the important spots on the west coast for "counting", you may sometimes see people with the LPO Vendee flag flying, good spot for Osprey.[;-)]

I'll have to make a very little correction, the poles that you mention are for storks, both black and white.

Cranes nest on the ground way up north on the edges of large shallow lakes.

Nice place to have a house, Chris

[quote user="chris pp"]

"but I did see two flights of palombes go past heading south."

That could be a mistake on their part, should have stayed where they were.

Chris

[/quote]

I saw another (smaller group) lot go by this morning. The palombes.com site isn't very informative unless you subscribe.  Do you have any info on them.  (I'm 99% sure it was palombes I saw).

Wood pigeon shouldn't be to difficult to identify by size, flight behaviour and markings.

I'll try not to bore, but wood pigeons are partial migrators, the vast majority remain where they are during the summer months and form groups, some large and some small. Others, usually from further north, migrate to the Mediterranean regions including Spain, it's when crossing the Pyrenees that most are killed using large nets that are strung across the valleys to capture both them and turtle doves, although Dordogne and Landes are both well known regions for their capture.

Sadly, the site that you mention is for the people who are hunting them.

Chris