Financial advice before leaving UK - any recommendations?

fromage

Personally, I didn't take any specific advice. I have a feeling that if your affairs are sufficiently complex to need such advice then you've probably already got an accountant/ tax advisor or whatever who could point you in the right direction.

If you have any specific questions then try posting them here. Few, if any, of us are qualified to advise on technical financial matters, but there's a wealth of experience of knowing the questions that you should be asking.

Hi - I'd recommend Blevins Franks for international financial, tax and employment advice. May not be for everyone but worth every cent for us! You need the international expertise - something most regular accountants / tax advisors simply don't have.

It's important to remember that there are certain things you can put in place BEFORE becoming a non-UK resident that you simply cannot do afterwards - specifically related to trusts, inheritance / succession.

Just google them.

It's all do-able! Best of luck...

Chiefluvvie

Remember once you have become tax resident in France, it is too late to do anything if financial problems arise, so professional advice before you go is defnitely a good idea, especially if you have any pension arrangements with lump sum options, which in France unlike the UK I believe would be taxed as income.

I would recommend getting financial advise particularly if you have any assets so you can make an informed decision if France is right for you.

My recommendations  are  PKF Guernsey - very good or  Sykes Andersen. Both have websites.

What you should look for in my opinion is one off independent advise and not someone who wants to invest for you in various so called tax saving schemes.

I would check search engine for previous recommendations too

I would definitely recommend Siddalls. They did a full study on our financial situation, attitude to risk etc and a produced a very thorough report of our options and what we needed to do before and after moving to France. Also a lot of information about how financial things work here. We have used them again for advice when we inherited money and about taking private pension income.

Excellent, thanks for all your replies.  We knew about Siddalls and Blevins Franks but not PKF or Sykes Andersen so will also have a look at them.

Really appreciate all the practical tips as well so if there are any more of those then that would be great too.

Thanks again.