Tax messed up again

bixy

For the second year in succession my tax has been messed up and I don't know if it's me or the tax office. Our tax affairs are quite simple - just our pensions and a bit of savings interest. I wonder if someone can enlighten me where I (or they) are going wrong.

On form 2047 I put our pensions under 'Pensions, retraites, rentes' on the first page, and then enter the UK taxable part in section VI 'Revenus imposables etc....

On form 2042 I enter the amounts under 1AS and 1BS and then the part of 1AS/BS which has been subject to UK tax at 8TK.

What seems to have happened is that the tax people have added the two amounts at 1AS/BS and 8TK together rather than recognising that one is part of the other.

Any help with this much appreciated.

Patrick

[quote user="bixy"]For the second year in succession my tax has been messed up and I don't know if it's me or the tax office. Our tax affairs are quite simple - just our pensions and a bit of savings interest. I wonder if someone can enlighten me where I (or they) are going wrong.

On form 2047 I put our pensions under 'Pensions, retraites, rentes' on the first page, and then enter the UK taxable part in section VI 'Revenus imposables etc....

On form 2042 I enter the amounts under 1AS and 1BS and then the part of 1AS/BS which has been subject to UK tax at 8TK.

What seems to have happened is that the tax people have added the two amounts at 1AS/BS and 8TK together rather than recognising that one is part of the other.

Any help with this much appreciated.

Patrick

[/quote]

Hi,

What you did was exactly right; unfortunately your form was dealt with by one of the numpties with whom the french tax service is lavishly supplied.

You can either go to the office to complain, or better, email.   You can also now make a reclamation on line -even if you didn't declare on line .

Did you actually pay any tax , or is the increased "revenu de reference " the problem. 

I would go along and see them in person. I have nothing but praise for my local Impôts who not only did last year's TVA paperwork but also the accounts for me as wehave always had an accountant until the business stopped due to death. He even gave me a refund as his calculations were wrong which he discovered later and said if anything, however little or not understandable crops up again, just go along and ask for him or one of his colleagues. Sending an e.mail won't bring that same person to person contact and immediate resolution of your problem. They don't charge for any of their services either.

Many thanks for those reassuring replies. We received an avis for €2000+. I sent the avis back, realising what they had done wrong and after several phone calls they eventually sent an amended avis of some €450+, WHICH WAS STILL WRONG. It was only when we went to pay at the tresorerie that the official pointed out the correct figure of about €150 - quite a difference to the original.

Unfortunately our local tax office is populated by the most discourteous, unhelpful, disagreeable, incompetent people it's been my misfortune to meet in France. We dread having to go anywhere near them. It seems that this is not generally true of tax people. Friends in a neighbouring department say that their tax officials are extremely helpful.

The reason I asked the question is that I was worried about making a mistake again next year, but it seems the mistake was theirs, not mine.

Anyway, once again, thanks for the reassurance.

Patrick

[quote user="bixy"]Many thanks for those reassuring replies. We received an avis for €2000+. I sent the avis back, realising what they had done wrong and after several phone calls they eventually sent an amended avis of some €450+, WHICH WAS STILL WRONG. It was only when we went to pay at the tresorerie that the official pointed out the correct figure of about €150 - quite a difference to the original.

Unfortunately our local tax office is populated by the most discourteous, unhelpful, disagreeable, incompetent people it's been my misfortune to meet in France. We dread having to go anywhere near them. It seems that this is not generally true of tax people. Friends in a neighbouring department say that their tax officials are extremely helpful.

The reason I asked the question is that I was worried about making a mistake again next year, but it seems the mistake was theirs, not mine.

Anyway, once again, thanks for the reassurance.

Patrick

[/quote]

Hi,

Given that your tax office is as you describe , if you have future problems , I repeat my advice that you should only communicate with them in writing/email.   That way they have to put their, possibly erroneous, views in writing which you can use in any appeals to higher authority.