Hello Im Bob and Im a newbie.

Hi All,

Although the title might seem like an introduction at an AA meeting I can assure you that I am familiar with forums and their influences.

My wife (Jacquie) and I have decided that we would like to take the plunge and move to the Languedoc region (partly because of the weather, health reasons, prefer to play golf in the sun) my daughter and her husband and 2 children will be joining us so we are going to require either 1 big property or two medium sized homes (with an income would be good) although I have retired.

We plan to make the tentative steps in February (17 through to 11Mar) on a buying rece, (want to see the area in the bad weather/cold time)if anybody could advise us or would like to act as mentor then we would be ever so grateful.

We have been holidaying for the past 15 years in Florida where we have 3 vacation homes but we feel that that particular area of the globe is not for us. (Homeland Security and Brits) Mickey Mouse or not!

We will be driving down and obviously will be looking for some accomodation for approx 3 weeks (4 adults) as well preferably Herault (being central)? I am not soliciting estate agents this is a genuine call for assistance.

So if anybody can assist please contact me by either email or PM.

Bob [:D]

Hello Bob and welcome to the forum[:)]

I have been holidaying in Languedoc for the last 5 years and this(sorry last) year, we have just brought our house there, I think we might need to know a little more about what your looking for before we can give advice e.g. are you looking for a town, seaside, or countryside location? Old or new build? What kind of income are you thinking of? B and B ?

Hope you find what you are looking for Pads     

Hi Pads,

Sorry for being so vague. Old as oposed to new build, something with character, history.

Income wise it would be pin money for ourselves (retired at 49 worked long enough )

Probably more for the siblings.

For my wife and I we would like a 3 or more bed house (personally a Maison de Maitre would suit me) Village or semi rural but within striking distance of life.

Golf courses bonus.and if it has possibility of income from Gites etc added bonus.

My daughter is a major events designer so computer access a must.

Her husband is a London Cabbie so he can commute.(rail or air)

Either to live with us in larger house or a seperate home again 3 bed min. Price ranges seperate 400K (Euro) or combined (800K)

Hope that assists.

http://www.lacledor.fr/choix2gb.php3

This is the company we used, they were very helpful friendly and spoke perfect English, dealt with all the legal side with the notaire and hand held us through out, they cover the Montage Noir to Carcassonne area, and further . Which is a beautiful area.

B and B and gites seem to be very well covered in that area, but we found a shortage of bars and cafes in some of the rural areas, also there is about to be a very large golf coarse opening there soon.( about 15km north of Carrcassonne)       

[quote user="Bobh"]want to see the area in the bad weather/cold time.... [/quote]Yeah right, that was our idea too, hence house hunting in November, but it was bl**dy 23deg and wall to wall sunshine damnit...!

Didn't stop us buying though so maybe we'll see what it all looks like in the gloom later this month when we come over to complete.

We're in Lot (46) so can't really help with your request but good luck in your search.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

[quote user="Bobh"]want to see the area in the bad weather/cold time.... [/quote]Yeah right, that was our idea too, hence house hunting in November, but it was bl**dy 23deg and wall to wall sunshine damnit...!

[/quote]

There's time yet ...........

If thats the case then so much the better. Love the warmth. 23deg. Ooo suits me sir!

In November we were in Florida and one evening met a brass monkey with tears in his eyes.

Maybe this is something to do with global warming?

Hello

Its near the village of Villaniere close to where there was an old Goldmine?, We were told that this whole area was being landscaped and a very large golf coarse was being built also horse riding stables . Mind you it was the Estate agent who told us all of this, although when we were last there it did seem that this work was taking place. the whole area has certainley been tidyed up. When I next go past I will have a look again and see if it has progressed, If my memory serves me right he said it was an Irish company doing it and it was to be opened in 2009 but dont quote me on this , as I wasnt taking in all he said as I had already decided i didnt like the house so I wasnt that interested and spent most of the time gazing out of the window of his car. I would be interested if you do find out any thing as we eventully did get our house not to far away from there and hubby does like to play golf and I like to ride so will be interested to see how far it has progressed      

The golf course is part of a plan to develop La Royale into a large holiday home complex for Brits.

They're meant to be starting in the spring but it's likely to take a few years to complete.

Funnily enough I know a house that MIGHT be coming up for sale just outside there which is owned by someone who is decidedly not a golf fan!

Stay away from Les Martys if you don't like lots of snow and long winters -- the climate changes rapidly from Martys downwards to Caudebronde/Cuxac and levels out around Villardonnel.

Areas like Martys, and to a lesser extent Caudebronde, are great if you don't want to melt in summer and are away for winter!

Thanks for the tip re climate change. We are hoping for somewhere quite temperate. So snow is definately off the menu Brrrrrr as is Le Mistral Im warned.

As we will be spending the rest of our lives there we would hope to find the right place. This is not a vacation home. We have 3 of those in Florida.

Thanx Bones

• 4 weeks later...
Bones is right about the snow in Les Martys, I nearly died trying to drive home from Carcassonne once caught in a blizzard. I think Cabardes is similar. Mazamet has a golf course and it's below the snow line. Also Castres airport now does decent priced flights to Paris and there is talk of cheapish England flights (there are already good London flights but pricey)