Keep hoping someone LOCAL would have something exciting to say.

We must all be too busy lazing in the sun or joining in the fetes.

Now there will be hundreds of posts saying "all right for some - we have to iron sheets and clean toilets" I suppose.

Ah well, going to post this anyway.

And then go and laze in the sun!!

Yes, the SE France section never seems to get much activity.  I guess there just aren't that many of us as members on this forum.

Nothing exciting happening chez moi.  I'm waiting for a fellow to arrive to give me a devis for cutting down an enormous tree that threatens to fall on our house - or that of our neighbor.  So, that is about the extent of it.

After he leaves, will most likely take a book to read by the pool, then have a swim.

The excitement is nearly killing me.

On the other French forum I participate in, a poster has sarted a survey of fellow posters as to what region in France they have a home. Not surprisingly I suppose, it is the South West of France that is miles ahead with over 50% of the posters votes cast so far.

The South East is nearly at the bottom with around 2% and probable reason is that the South East is the most expensive area of France to buy property, which limits affordability and the South West gives better value?

In July 2006, I asked pretty much the same question, to which the answer (from Forum Admin) was as below:

% of forum users by region for month:

1.Poitou-Charentes21.1%
2.Ile-De-France20.6%
3.Aquitaine12.0%
4.Midi-Pyrenees8.6%
5.Bretagne8.0%
6.Languedoc-Roussillon6.5%
7.Pas De La Loire5.7%
8.Rhone-Alpes4.8%
9.Basse-Normandie4.4%
10.Centre2.2%
11.Provence-Alpes-Cote D'zur1.6%
12.Haute-Normandie1.3%
13.Norde-Pas-De-Calais1.0%
14.Bourgogne0.8%
15.Picardie0.6%
16.Auvergne0.5%
17.Alsace0.2%
18.Champagne-Ardenne0.2%
19.Lorraine0.0%

Of course, this represents users rather than a representation of how prolific' they are. I must admit, the Ile de France number surprises me.

[quote user="Sprogster"]

The South East is nearly at the bottom with around 2% and probable reason is that the South East is the most expensive area of France to buy property, which limits affordability and the South West gives better value?

[/quote]

You ain't kiddin there Sprogster !   Paris and SE France - both spell

O U T R A G E O U S ...

This might sound a silly question and I am the first to admit that my geography is awful buuuuut....

where exactly does south east France begin and end?

I know that Bayonne and around there would be south west.

I also know that Nice would be south east.

But, wot about the other end of the French mediterranean?

How far west of Perpignan becomes south west France?

That is always presuming that Perpignan is in the south east.

If it isn't, then I am in the wrong section here.

Pol - that question seems to get answered in many different ways.  For example, on the following website, it lists the area between Beziers and Perpignan as being in both the SE and the SW.  I cannot see how it could be considered the SE, but you can click on the link and then scroll down and click on a regional map - SE (it is easier to read fully if you then click on the PDF version for the big picture) - then click on the SW (same for PDF file).  How can these areas be considered part of both maps??  Or, am I simply reading the maps incorrectly?

http://www.quid.fr/monde.html?mode=detail&iso=fr&style=carte&id=50247&docid=1381#map

http://www.quid.fr/monde.html?mode=detail&iso=fr&style=carte&id=50247&docid=1380#map

I always thought the SE did not extend beyond the Languedoc Roussillon. 

I'm sure someone will be able to clarify.

Good map.  I didn't realize that dept. 66 (where Perpignan is located) is still part of the Languedoc Roussillon.  Since I live in the Vaucluse, it seemed so far west to me.  Okay, so I've learned something new for the day.  Guess it was worth getting up then.  [;-)]

Yes, I have always thought of Carcassonne as a south westerly location.  Then, I was told that all of the Languedoc Roussillon was part of SE France.  I really have no idea as it seems to be up to interpretation.  Perhaps the Lang. Rous. is split.  Is that possible?

I know what you mean Lori.  But Carcassonne is 11, thus clearly Languedoc Rousillon. Ysatis' map was a good guide - it's down to the Regions.  So everything in L-R is SE, and so on.

However ............. I got in to what ended up as an acrimonious debate with someone or other a month or two ago as to where Provence began and ended.  Just goes to show, yet again, that opinion can easily be divided! 

In this debate, at least, there's no quarrel.  The Gard is SE. 

Mmmmm - Ysatis' 1st map!!!  Oh, who cares.  

Yes, I had been told all of L-R is SE France.  Does seem a bit odd, that western bit.

As to the Provence argument.  Same issue.  Open to interpretation.  I don't even go there, except to say that the Cote d'Azur is not Provence.  There are people who disagree with that too. 

Is this all we can discuss from the SE region????   We are a sad lot aren't we?  [:D]

Come on then Lori ...... Id love to talk about whats happening in the area maybe you could tell me about some of the nicer villages to visit, by nice I mean a few nice shops a good place to stop for lunch ( quiet but tasty) maybe by a river or canal. nice views ..... maybe a market or good books shops to browse in.

I can recommend Caunes Minervois  Lagrasse and the Abbey at Fontfroids all worth a days vist and stop for lunch. If you know any of this places you will know the kind of place I like.[:)]