Anyone near Pleudihen sur Rance?

Have just moved to this lovely area near the river Rance and wondered if there is anyone living near?

We moved here after spending two happy years running a gite in Normandy and this is supposed to be for "retirement" but I somehow can't imagine me doing nothing!! so does anyone know of the possibilities of a bit of part-time work around here - anything legal considered.

Kind regards,

pennyf

Penny,

We are just around the corner from Pleudihen we are actually on the border of Pleudihen and Miniac Morvan. We sometimes hear of little jobs going but for the last year it has been very quiet, even the summer saw not a lot going on with the p/t jobs.

Miki,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know where Miniac Morvan is! We are actually in Mordreuc just outside Pleudihen.

As for the job - I guess the best thing to do is keep your eyes and ears open and keep scouring the supermarket and garden centre notice boards!! Don't want a lot but after 2 years of being VERY busy "nothing" may be a bit difficult!

Penny

Hi Gay,

Yes it is - Abri des Flots I think is the spelling - nicked this off the roadsign!! Not open at the moment though - undergoing a total renovation hopefully ready for the summer season. We ate there a couple of times whilst house hunting in the area and the food is excellent and just at the bottom of our lane - saves transportation worries!

Pennyf

The Abri once had a very good name but we were told by locals and some of the golfers we have stay here, that it had dropped off as late, hopefully the refurbishment will mean better times ahead, it sure is in a nice spot though, right on the banks of the Rance.

Locals now seem to go to the Hotel resto near the Post office in Pleudihen, or some go to the new(ish) creperie opposite the church. 

A litttle known thing here, Mordreuc (a lovely little place), along with its bigger (ha !) local town Pleudihen sur Rance, were exchanged for Dinard many years ago. So now those two are in the 22 Côtes D'Armor (Côtes du Nord as was) and Dinard is with us (us !!) in the 35..

Penny have you tried any (many !) restaurants in Cancale or Saint Malo as yet ? Are you near the old Grillade place that shut down (forgot the name for the moment) and now looks pretty morbid, funny enough that did do good meals ?

We haven't been for some years but its just such a great location. Once we were having dinner and a 'tour' boat all lit up just silently glided past, very attractive. On another occasion at lunchtime we watched as a guy took a class, I think sailing. He was in a normal sized boat and the children in small boats behind him, like a swan and cygnets.

Hope the restaurant returns to its former glory !

Hi Miki,

Yes we have tried the creperie and it is good if somewhat limited in menu - haven't tried the pizza restaurant/hotel yet nor many other places in the Cancale/St.Malo area - too busy with "moving in". Did have a good lunch in Cancale a couple of weeks back - Cancale was lovely but food a bit pricey! We are trying La Lycorne in Dinan this weekend - picked at random for location and good looking menu - family arriving so need somewhere not a million miles away!

Pennyf

Hi Penny,

Have tried the Lycorne, deep in the old town, not overly impressed but nothing to complain about either, not cheap for some of the a la carte evening meals. For ambiance, as well tasty fair, I guess the Cantorbury just down the road between the car parks towards the theatre is OK, new owners last year. I am dubious to the value and also the quality of many of the restaurants in Dinan to be honest, especially in the old port.

Try one of these restos next time in Cancale, La Cancalais, Le Querrien or Restaurant Hotel St Cast and have the 15 euros lunch menu Mon-Fri only. The Robert Surcouf is excellent but a bit more expensive.

For Saint Malo, do try The hotel/resto Armoricane just off the place de la poste, good old family resto where the locals eat. There is also Le Brick situated in the road under the walls where many of the restos are. These are terrific value places. Can suggest a few of the more expensive ones as well but do try some of the others when you get settled in.

Dol de Bretagne still has a couple of decent restos as well but 2 of our old favourites have new owners and are now pretty awful ! For Sunday lunch (or any lunch or evening meal in fact !) in Dol, do try the shabby chic Hotel de Bretagne at the end of the main thoroughfare. Again wonderful value.

Bon appetit Penny !

[quote]Hi Penny, Have tried the Lycorne, deep in the old town, not overly impressed but nothing to complain about either, not cheap for some of the a la carte evening meals. For ambiance, as well tasty fair...[/quote]

>>Dol de Bretagne still has a couple of decent restos as well but 2 of our old favourites have new owners and are now pretty awful ! For Sunday lunch (or any lunch or evening meal in fact !) in Dol, do try the shabby chic Hotel de Bretagne at the end of the main thoroughfare. Again wonderful value.<<

I assume you are referring to Grabotais. If so, we couldn't agree more. It had been a favorite for 10 years. Porche Au Pain has good food but way over-priced. La Cour Vert has rebounded and we still enjoy going there. Then, of course, Breche Artur is now a motorcycle shop! The only problem with the hotel is the service. You don't want to be in a hurry! Still, as you said 'good value'.

Our favorite in SM has to be Duchesse Anne.

Pardon my spelling . . I'm too lazy to look it up!

Hi Ray,

Yes, the other night the food in Le Grabotais, was pretty average to say the least but some Brits close by were saying how nice it was, so what can you say !

The other one, Le Porche Au Pain (the resto opposite of course), the old owner was great but he had a heart condition and sold up and the newish owners, people from Paris, have diminished the choices on the menu and as you say overpriced the simple food it offers. Really do not think the food is as good as it was, both now crossed off our list anyway.

The thing with the Hotel de Bretagne is, we find you are not rushed which we have found lately is now becoming a little de rigeur in some places. It feels on occasion like, get em in, get em fed, get em out !! So the old shabby chic hotel is just the ticket some days and the wife does know how to cook fish very well.

Bretesche Artur (sp) is where we sealed the deal here, strange to see the resto part now being a moto shop isn't it ?

Our favorite in SM has to be Duchesse Anne.

Ate there two years ago with some American ladies from Georgia (true gentle southern belles), it is entitled to be good, it has one of the dearest low price prix fixe on the coastline !!

So as it's your favourite, therefore I take it you might utilise it a bit, then if so, I wouldn't mind being a couple of 0's behind you moneywise Ray

Gay, 

I see it often and now cannot quite pull the sculptures shape from my memory  isn't it a carriage and a chap ?

I shall take a look up there when I collect daughter from school on Friday.

It is bronzy looking, I think !!

[quote]Hi Ray, Yes, the other night the food in Le Grabotais, was pretty average to say the least but some Brits close by were saying how nice it was, so what can you say ! The other one, Le Porche Au Pai...[/quote]

>>So as it's your favourite, therefore I take it you might utilise it a bit<<

Last time was last summer and ate outdoors. These days I have to use my wheelchair or only a few paces which limits us a bit. It is a'special occasion' place for us.

>>I wouldn't mind being a couple of 0's behind you moneywise<<

Have no idea what this means!

In Dinan, our favorite is 'Le Bistro du Viaduc' overlooking the old port. There is also 'TERRE NEUVAS' at the port but again good food, too high priced.

[quote]Gay, I see it often and now cannot quite pull the sculptures shape from my memory isn't it a carriage and a chap ? I shall take a look up there when I collect daughter from school on Friday. I...[/quote]

>>isn't it a carriage and a chap ?<<

Yep.

I wouldn't mind being a couple of 0's behind you moneywise

Have no idea what this means!

Well basically Ray if you have £1000, then I wouldn't mind having £10 !! (or in equal units for more dosh !)

In Dinan, our favorite is 'Le Bistro du Viaduc' overlooking the old port.

It is strange, we have passed that place thousands of times but have never eaten in there, but friends love it and the views aren't bad. We do reserve dinners for many guests there annually though.

There is also 'TERRE NEUVAS' at the port but again good food, too high priced.

Agree, the old port restos put on too many euros for their position.

Do you know, when we arrived from the south and we were looking about, we were on the river bank down at the old port, just up from the pleasure boat stop and I said that the old house and ground opposite would make a lovely guesthouse and gite, must have been overheard, the Best Western hotels built a hotel on it later the next year !!

Glad to know that the sculpture was right, means the old grey matter is still ticking over then !

[quote]I wouldn't mind being a couple of 0's behind you moneywise Have no idea what this means! Well basically Ray if you have £1000, then I wouldn't mind having £10 !! (or in equal units for more d...[/quote]

>> the Best Western hotels built a hotel on it later the next year !!<<

The only problem is that if you continue down that road in front, away from the port, you will come to a sewage treatment plant in a couple hundred yards. When the wind is right . . . .

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for all your wonderful suggestions for "eating out"! As it's one of our favourite pastimes I'm sure we'll get round to them all in due course - and with a bit of luck with so many family visiting we won't have to pay for all our delicious meals!!

Many thanks again.

Pennyf

[quote]Hi,Thanks to everyone for all your wonderful suggestions for "eating out"! As it's one of our favourite pastimes I'm sure we'll get round to them all in due course - and with a bit of luck with so man...[/quote]

Hang on Penny, the goalposts have moved.

Someone else is paying !!  So how about we give you the names of some nice expensive places to go and eat ?  it might be the only payment you get ! we know, we've been there many a time  and I bet you and many others on here have as well 

We had lunch in the place with the sculpture on Monday.  It was too bloody cold to walk around and find somewhere else and we were in a bit of a hurry, taking one set of friends back to the airport and the others joining us to end a very boozy weekend, before heading back to Limoux.  The food was very good but I think they had to go a catch a cow and kill it first, the time we had to wait!!!  An hour and a half for one course and a coffee!!!!

Its some years since since I had anything other than breakfast there - they are speedy enough with the bacon and eggs !

Often see other 'faces' from the ferry so I guess we are not the only ones that do this.

The fun is watching the delivery vehicles trying to do 98 point turns to get out of the 'intra muros'

[quote]We had lunch in the place with the sculpture on Monday. It was too bloody cold to walk around and find somewhere else and we were in a bit of a hurry, taking one set of friends back to the airport an...[/quote]

Coco,

Not THE Limoux, the one with the wonderful, creamy sparkling wine, often every bit as good as some of the offerings from Champagne ? If it was, I do hope the weekend was alive with the sound of corks popping !! Another short 800 metres and you could have eaten better, quicker and cheaper in  L'Armoricaine

Miki,

La Lycorne was ok on Saturday night - you were right - nothing to complain about but rather overpriced which wasn't a huge problem as we weren't paying!!

Will now try some of your recommendations before our next non-paying guests arrive beginning of March - then off to one of the more expensive hosteleries Je pense!!

If my son wants help with his wedding in June he knows the way to his mothers heart is through her stomach!

Penny