[quote]Does he still go to Mortain on a Saturday?[/quote]

Don't know how true it is Chris but I've heard that too.  And I'm afraid that judging by the type of people I saw in there on my one and only visit (even though the fish and chips were absolutely delicious!) I can well believe it - they really were the dregs of humanity and the type that make you embarrassed to be British.

[quote]No doubt they resort to the loans after they have used up their grants! Chuck Anyone know where I can get hold of a Llama?[/quote]

Grants? People can still get grants? Gimme.

And there were 2 in a field local to us until (suspiciously) a few days before Xmas. According to my Columbian connections they make good eating.

Llamas are big and live in rivers in South America-they have gills and are equipped with fins for swimming-Llamas are dangerous-if you see one you must cry out ALERTO-ALERTO! Watch out there are Llamas!!!!

whats next ? pan pipes and wearing of multi colured blankets?

[quote]That the little cafe just outside Vire has stopped serving fish&chips on Fridays- due to damage done to the place by drunken Brits fighting! Anyone know anything about this??[/quote]

which cafe was this? Which road out of Vire?

Catalpa is a really beautiful tree (are you named after the tree?) My Mother had one in her garden and she called it 'Josephine' after Josephine Baker, and it grew into a magnificent specimen with huge golden leaves. I hope it is still there and the new owners have not ripped it out!

Do you think one would survive in Normandie? I would love to have one.

Furrynix said: ** Do you think one would survive in Normandie? I would love to have one. **

We had one in Wiltshire and it flowered beautifully in warm summers. It really is a stunning tree. As we're now 200 or so miles south of Wiltshire I would guess that climate won't be a problem so I plan to plant several - post renovation - because we're on a south-facing hillside and need terrace shade in summer. The catalpa has the additional benefit of coming into leaf comparatively late and shedding it's leaves quite early so when we want the sun in the colder months, the trees won't obscure it. I've recently discovered there's a purple version as well as the bog-standard green and 'aurea' versions. The Wiltshire catalpa had a fully mature copper beech as a foil in the background. Both looked stunning with the sun filtering through the beech leaves. The new owners will die if anything happens to either tree! We had no pangs selling the house, but the trees...

Thanks Coco (so nice to see your name is no longer censored!) I've not heard of the restaurant at La Graverie but last I heard the fish and chip van still goes to Mortain on a Saturday evening though we've never been motivated to go find it.

[quote]The fish and chip van also goes to Champ du Boult on a Thursday night (outside Pierre's bar A.K.A. "Le Groper") - we haven't been either - we tend to prefer eating French when in France (food that is ...[/quote]

Don't blame you - we always did when our house was a second home.  But sometimes these days, you do get such a craving!!!

Had an email from some friends who have flown back to the UK for a week and it said:

"This is our last day back in England - we've eaten two Chinese, one curry, one fish & chips and a large doner kebab (not all at once). I've also squeezed in about 6 pints of Pride, 2 Guinness and a Greene King IPA."

And this from a couple who usually eat very healthily!!!

This is our last day back in England - we've eaten two Chinese, one curry, one fish & chips and a large doner kebab (not all at once). I've also squeezed in about 6 pints of Pride, 2 Guinness and a Greene King IPA."

You sure know how to make someone envious Coco, well apart from the Kebab, I gave them up years ago when I saw one fall on the floor and Aristotle Jollipopolous, the owner simply stuck it back on the spike

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]That the little cafe just outside Vire has stopped serving fish&chips on Fridays- due to damage done to the place by drunken Brits fighting! Anyone know anything about this??[/quote]

Wrong Rumours!!!!!!!!!!!

Le Bar de la poste in La Graverie, as it was mentionned in your past messages, has not been smashed by silly brits . I don't know where you get your sources from but the bar is fine and running well with both our  local french and english customers...

Look forward to seeing you all soon!!

Seb

I'm so glad to hear the rumours are false. Some people seem to have nothing better to do than to complain about their fellow countrymen in France - if they can't find any real stories they make them up (and I'm not saying the person who originally posed the question was doing anything other than querying what had been heard elsewhere).

Would you be the same Sébastien who used to have the Bar du Havre in St-Hilaire-du-Harcouët?

[quote]I'm so glad to hear the rumours are false. Some people seem to have nothing better to do than to complain about their fellow countrymen in France - if they can't find any real stories they make them u...[/quote]

I am indeed "the" Sébastien who used to be in Saint hilaire at le bar du havre....