Are there any Vegetarian restaurants?

They are a rare thing round our way, me little wooden house is not that far from there and I know a few Vulcans that won't go near France now because they have animals in everyhting, even the wine has animal juice in it. They waste nothing from them poor cows and horses in France, they use horse parts for the bottles they put the milk in too! I love horses but I would never like to taste one.

If you take your eye off your horse in France, He will be in your fridge! As they say in County Kildare.

Hi

This can be a real problem in France - it's not that the French are trying to be unhelpful they genuinely do not understand why anyone would not want to eat (their) meat.

Initially, I suggest you get used to omelettes + whatever you can eat in them ie herbs, cheese, mushrooms, peppers etc. I managed for a while asking for a plain or herb omelette plus some vegs on the side. Most restos seemed happy to try their best for me like this.

I have asked for just vegs and been successful ie main dish of the day is *** with choufleur au gratin, haricots etc. Asked if I can have the vegs by themselves to be met with a 'pas de probleme' and a huge plate of all kinds of vegs (if I am lucky) to just a couple of overcooked ones on occasion.

There is one place near us that does a veg gratin dish that is to die for and they will gladly serve it to me on its own.

Pizzas are a good fall-back. I now know where, if all else fails, I can have a super-duper veg pizza locally that is so good it defies reason.

But all this takes time so that a genuine relationship can be built up between you and the resto owner; thereby avoiding the 'why should I bother with you time-wasting veggie English person who is here today and will be gone tomorrow' . Which I got from one resto owner who had had too many awkward veggie visitors that summer and I was the straw on his camel's back.

Sue 

Edit: I live in southern 56 - so nowhere near Bayeux - but when I was staying in Bayeux some years ago it was the same there at that time as I find here now!

There are a couple of veggie restaurants in Caen. Look in a copy of La petite fute in your local bookshop; the Caen edition. Also try the one for Calvados; there might be something other than a creperie in Bayeux!

BIO CORNER

2, rue aux Chanoines
14000 CAEN
Tél : 02 31 93 86 09

Ouvert le mardi et mercredi midi et du jeudi au samedi midi et soir.

A l’étage de l’épicerie maintenant bien connue des amateurs de la nourriture bio, se loge le resto qui permet de manger bio, et uniquement bio. La déco est de pierres apparentes. Les tables pas nombreuses se remplissent assez vite. Et le plat du jour change tous les jours. C’est frais, bien cuisiné et d’ambiance très cool. L’après-midi, le resto se transforme en salon de thé. Faiblesse : trop petit. Talent : l’ouverture le samedi midi.

• 2 weeks later...
Not helpful I'm afraid but last week in Pont l'abbe I thought I had joined a comedy sketch when the 'veggie' in our party asked for a cheese baguette, (in French) No, they didn't do cheese baguettes, only ham & cheese, or ham. It was explained that the person who wanted it was a vegetarian - blank looks - eventually we ordered a ham & cheese baguette without the ham........

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for all of your replies.  I have, in fact, just got back from Bayeux and believe me, I have eaten an awful lot of omelettes!  One slightly amusing incident did occur.  I was in France to collect the keys to our new build (absolutely first class service from national building company but thats another story).  Having met up with the chap who is going to sort out the garden we received a phone call from his wife asking if we (myself, mum and sister) would like to go around for aperitifs.  We were so thrilled and really excited to have been asked.  Little did I know that this aperatif business can vary.  Having been told to be careful not to outstay our welcome we started to make moves to leave after about an hour.  At which point the food was brought out.  Fish stew!  How was I to know that I should have told them about being vegetarian when we were invited round.  I am afraid that prawns, scallops etc in a cream sauce are an impossibility for me.  I explained that I really could not eat it and apologised profusely, horrified that I might have offended her.  No such worry, she quickly produced a couple of fried eggs!.  All in all we had 5 courses.  We tried once again to leave at 10.30pm. at which point the 20 year old family Calvados was brought out.  I can honestly say that the excitement of getting our keys was nothing compared to the fun we had that evening.  I have never before met such genuinely kind and friendly people and this particulary experience was one I shall never forget.