New high voltage electricity pylons - Manche (50)

How d’you fancy a line of 400,000 volt, high tension electricity pylons running through Manche? – Flamanville, down the Cotentin peninsula to St Sever Calvados and then on the Mortain? Swathes of St Sever woodland felled; pylons marching through St Michel de Montjoie… Gathemo… Vengeons… Sourdeval… or maybe Perriers-en-Beauficel… Beauficel… Lingeard… Brouains… there’s a lot of beautiful countryside in this area – as well as further up the Cotentin.
See:    ligne-france-espagne.org

To give you the background as we understand it: as you may have seen on other forums, there’s a plan for surplus electricity manufactured at the parc nucléaire at the top of the Cotentin peninsula – Manche, Flammanville – to be sold to Spain. To facilitate this, a brand new run of high tension pylons (400,000 volts) is planned from Flamanville (or nearby) to Spain. The pylon route from Flammanville to St Sever Calvados has been agreed in principle but not in detail - ie, a precise line has not been drawn on a map but a broad corridor has been announced.

The route after St Sever Calvados is to Mortain. Precise route is yet to be announced and there's no known date for the announcement. Even when there is an announcement, it could be for a corridor 10kms wide, for example, so precise villages affected far less individual properties will not be known for some time.
Another route that's being discussed is St Sever => Gathemo => Sourdeval => Mortain. And yet another idea is to run a parellel line of pylons adjacent to some already in place in the Reffuville / L'Embranchement area... which wouldn't be logical if the line was running to Mortain but at least would be further damaging an already damaged area. If you see what I mean.

This information is via our Maire and the Maire of an adjacent commune who also happens to be one the deputy Conseil-Generals of Manche. Neither are happy because guess what - they don't want pylons running over their homes either - but at the moment, there's no news.

So why am I telling you this? Well, if you’re considering a property purchase in the area, be aware. If you already live here, start asking your Mairie for information. I’m not sure yet what we can / should do – I don’t know that France has a culture of strongly opposing something that is for the “good of France” – so personally, we’re still in the process of chatting to people, finding out what they know, whether they even care about the prospect of their very own singing pylon in their vegetable patch… 

If we hear more, I'll post the information. On the other hand, if anyone else hears or knows anything about this, please either email me or post something here. And if you want to email me, I’ll circulate any additional information we hear direct to you. For instance, I believe there’s strong opposition in St Sever Calvados and there’ve been various meetings. If I hear of another - or anything similar - I’ll tell you.

If you’ve any experience of fighting something like this in France… let me know. NIMBY, moi? Yes, of course – but I think the bl00dy thing should go underground anyway - then it’s not obviously in anyone’s backyard.

And then of course, there’s the landfill site planned for Cuves near Brecey…

That sounds extremely worrying - and not just for Manche, but the whole route through France down to Spain!!!  The departement is supposed to be chucking quite a lot of money at the area to develop tourism, but with those monstrosities across the landscape there seems little point. 

Please keep us informed of anything you hear.  I'm north of the specific areas you talk about but could be right on the line between Flammanville and Saint Sever!!!!

Obviously stranger things have happened at sea!  However geography was never my most interesting subject at school hence my becoming a lawyer.

In saying that surely the nuclear power station is up on the top of the pennisular and to the left of Cherbourg.

Are we suggesting that the new proposals are coming down the pennisular and then basically cutting across towards St Sever then cutting back again and down through Rennes the Loire and then down through Bordeaux and to Espagne?

Know nothing about topography or geography but surely that is madness.  I can tell you that there are huge ducts in the ocean bed between England and France and then to Spain which carry telephone calls and there is surplus capacity in the channels so perhaps................

I think that the wine producers in the Loire then down through Bordeaux then the Corbieres and again Languedoc will have something to say about this.

Is there something which authenticates the information that is currently before us!

In any event go to the restaurant near the power station and which overlooks Jersey and Guernsey its quite good.  Is its name Semaphore?

kind regards

Sorry to digress but has anyone heard anything about a new Autoroute ,that according to my French neighbour will run between the town of St. Hilaire Du Harcuoet and the village of Lapenty in Basse Normandy. According to Jean Pierre it will affect the villages of Milly and Parigney aswell. A few years off but a wee bit scary peut etre.

Hi Judie

Sadly, the talk is that this autoroute will be heading towards Alencon, he did mention that it might not be for ten year, but there has been local chit chat between the french around here already, 'their is no smoke without fire', personally I hope it will never get off the ground. How long ago did anyone find out about these pylons, or here the rumour of them? I do hope that they dont get the go ahead either, but it doesn't look good.

Porth (with visibly raised eyebrows) said:

<< In saying that surely the nuclear power station is up on the top of the pennisular and to the left of Cherbourg. >>

Correct. See, your grasp of geography is fine!

<< Are we suggesting that the new proposals are coming down the pennisular and then basically cutting across towards St Sever then cutting back again and down through Rennes the Loire and then down through Bordeaux and to Espagne? >>

I only know the bit that relates to St Sever => Mortain so can’t comment on the rest of the route except to say: yes, there obviously is one.

<< Know nothing about topography or geography but surely that is madness.  >>

In crowded, environmental and health-aware, instant protest group Britain, yes. In France? Dunno.

This is the project website – it’s a PR job to make the reader aware of the wonderful way our environment can change over the years to reflect and accommodate the way we live our lives now… such changes (soddin' great pylons) being a good thing celebrating man’s technological advances…

http://www.ligne-france-espagne.org/sommaire.shtm

<< I think that the wine producers in the Loire then down through Bordeaux then the Corbieres and again Languedoc will have something to say about this. >>

I’m sure you’re right and I’m equally sure that commercial concerns like that will have substantially more clout than a of host small farmers and individuals across poorer areas of rural France. For all I know, local landowners might be pleased at the prospect of compulsory land purchase – a few bob for their bank accounts.

<< Is there something which authenticates the information that is currently before us! >>

http://www.ligne-france-espagne.org/sommaire.shtm

plus the knowledge of local officialdom: several mayors in this area, one of whom is a deputy conseil-general for Manche, neither of which have anything on paper – or not that they shared with us. The deputy C-G for did say that it’s difficult to get information, that no one is saying anything. There’s a pressure group at St Sever and if anyone wants contact details, PM me.

<< In any event go to the restaurant near the power station and which overlooks Jersey and Guernsey its quite good.  Is its name Semaphore? >>

Yes it is, it’s regularly recommended on various sites and I want to go there one day – but it’s 2 hours drive for us.

JUDIE!

You’re a well-connected woman of La Manche… have you any insider or other info on this project?

I read about that power line, I think it was in the April issue of "French News".  Although I read the article the only part I remember was that it would join up with another near Le Mans.  I cannot now find the paper so am unable to quote more fully.

Bad luck if you get one of the new pylons in your garden.  I bet that didn't show up in the searches of recently purchased properties.

weedon

The best and probably the simplest way of keeping up with happenings in ones area, is to buy the weekly local paper. It also lets us know what is going on and where as far as our guests are concerned e.g Tourist attraction, fete, vide greniers etc.

I am sure it will have been mentioned in your local paper more than once and it will be mentioned for some while to come, I am sure, if indeed it is going to happen.

Living on the borders of the 35 & 22, we buy Le Pays Malouin and Le Petit Bleu

Look here, it might have the name of your local journal for Brittany & Normandy at least.

http://www.publihebdos.com/Htm/Hebdos/LePetitBleu.htm

Thanks Miki - as a trained journalist myself I was hesitating on giving a blatant plug to my French colleagues (plus the fact that the previous owner of our house was the boss of La Gazette, the St-Hilaire du-Harcouët local rag). There certainly hasn't been any big thing about the power line in La Manche Libre, which has carried more news about the landfill site at Cuves (due to the fact that one of the local maires is reputed to own the land that will be used). Though I'm not sure if a proposed development like this is considered important enough news in comparison with the vide-greniers, minor house fires, lost dogs, répas du troisième age etc.

A lot of things in France are talked about - the upgrading of that main road, which might or might not go near Lapenty, is just one. But whether or not they happen is another thing altogether. The power line story seems to be full of even more ifs and buts. If the Spanish deal goes ahead, if the line is financially viable, etc etc.

I'm certainly not saying people shouldn't be worried and shouldn't register their protests. In fact now is the best time; if the authorities know there is a strong anti-power line feeling in the area it may just influence their thinking. They certainly won't be able to present a fait accompli, as happens so often in France, saying they weren't aware of any adverse local feeling (the fact that in certain cases few locals may have been told, other than the maire and his cronies who stand to benefit from any development, is irrelevant of course).

I'm personally a bit sceptical about the economics of selling surplus electricity to Spain, a prospect that seems to alarm some of the locals who feel it's 'their' energy. They, and a lot of British people, seem to have either forgotten or not been aware that EDF has sold electricity to the UK national grid for years. Certainly back in the late 1980s/early 90s when I worked in the power generation press the UK took a lot of France's nuclear-generated surplus. And that was even before EDF was a significant player in the UK electricity supply industry. I rather think that if the plant near Cherbourg wants to offload some power it has only to look across the Channel, where the infrastructure is already in place, rather than building thousands of miles of difficult lines.

Mind you the road through Parigny could do with some attention. When I saw 'circulation alternée' signs I had hopes of resurfacing, but no - they were jut making the pavement as bad as the road!

And speaking of répas du troisième age we came across one in Fougères last week - I can't wait to retire - those guys 'n gals know how to have a good time... The best bit was the hassled young woman trying to 'look after' them. No chance!

They, and a lot of British people, seem to have either forgotten or not been aware that EDF has sold electricity to the UK national grid for years. Certainly back in the late 1980s/early 90s when I worked in the power generation press the UK took a lot of France's nuclear-generated surplus.

I think the link was built during the 60s.  It was intended to enable either countries surplus to be sent to the other.  As it turned out it was one way traffic.  I seem to remember visiting the UK inverter station (it was a dc link) as a student.

But why would the wine producers be so concerned.  Aesthetics?

• 4 weeks later...
There is a large section (including a laughably vague map covering the possible route from St Lo down to Avranches / Laval) in this week's La Manche Libre. There was an article last week too, but we were away so I've only just obtained a copy. The edition we buy is St Hilaire du H / Avranches but as the erection of the pylons will impact a large part of Manche and a bit of Calvados too, it is probably covered in all editions.

• 2 weeks later...
Saturday 28 May, one day only...

From 0930 - 1730

In the Amphitheatre du Credit Agricole

Avenue de Paris

St Lo, Manche 50

Information organised by the Confederation Paysanne and the Members of the Collectif l'EPR: No Thank You - Not There, Not Here

... which we take to be an "anti-the-pylons exhibition". We guess there will be a lot of information available. If you are concerned, attend if you can.

• 3 months later...

Update -

the protest group has now developed at website (currently in French) which gives additional information including maps showing the possible 'corridors' taking the lines from the St Sever Calvados area towards the eventual destination - existing powerlines near either Rennes or Laval. There are three corridors (couloir) and the middle one is apparently considered the most likely choice.

Or, if the protest group musters enough energy and people-power , it's hoped to persuade EDF to bury a cable underground instead. 

If you have a home in the Manche or northern Mayenne / Ille et Vilaine area, I recommend you take a look.

http://www.respecterlebocage.com/

Many things are happening with the protest group. As you know, it's called 'Respecter le bocage' and they are planning another public meeting for October. You can join the association at the Mairie in St Sever (Calvados) for a few euros. They've recently had another piece in the newspaper and there should be an article in the Vire edition of Manche Libre this week or next and they're now producing car stickers (1 euro each) to spread the word.

I have met with the President of the association and have explained that there are many British families who are concerned. I have a copy of the official map that has been produced outlining the possible areas that it might pass through. As yet there is no specific route planned just a wide band running from St Lo south.

Rather than try and describe the detail, see the maps on the new website. www.respecterlebocage.com  At the moment it is only in French, but if your French isn't good you can use Google to translate the site (although Bocage translates as Scrap Metal!) It's an easy site to navigate anyway and they maps are easy to find there. I've asked and they've agreed to translate the website into English which is a good start.

So far these communes have signed up, agreeing to oppose the plans. If your communes isn't one of them let me know and I'll speak to the president. 

Montbray - Courson - Landelles & Coupigny - Champ du Boult - Morigny - Le Chefresne - Mesnil Clinchamps - Pont Bellanger. 

I'll post on this forum when they've decided on the date for the next meeting.The president of the association (who can speak a little English) was thrilled to hear that English residents/homeowners are worried about this.  In the mean time 'spread the word' and join up.

Sybil

p.s. I've produced English versions of leaflets and posters for the Association so if you want any or can give them out to friends, please email me. I have the car stickers too.

Thank you for the information.

It is a pity that the keys etc to the maps are so small, as without knowing what the colours, and the letters A B C etc represent they are somewhat meaningless.

It also appears that there is a little more English-speaking involvement in this than you imply. The contact name at the bottom of each web site page is decidedly British sounding, being an Englishman who farms sheep at Pont-Farcy and has been involved in several web sites and similar Franco-British projects, among other things. It also looks as if the site itself, judging from the URL which comes up initially when clicking on the link above, could be hosted by AngloInfo (a name well known to some members of this forum).

My own journalistic curiosity wonders why the 'respecter le bocage' organisation is not a little more up front about this. Perhaps it doesn't want to be too closely associated with English nimbyism?

Hang on, I've given you the wrong end of the stick! The only reason that there is any reference to anglo-info is because I copied and pasted some of the text that I had written in their forum (including the URL!). Believe me they have nothing to do with it.

Yes, the man who designed the website is English as you have obvserved and also a journalist and broadcaster now living nearby. He is the only other English person on the committee and as you have seen offered to design a site for the association. He has handed the site over to one of the French members of the committee as he hasn't the time to regularly update it, but is obviously credited with the original design.

The respecter le bocage is a very long running association for all things local/rural as I understand it having been started years and years before this campaign. Apart from that the association's president is a GP and their are approximately 15 other members of the community involved for various reasons.

I have only just become involved as I know the doctor (our children are in the same class at school). Because there has been little information in English for us in Normandy regarding the Pylons I asked to meet with him to find out more, hence my recent involvment. I am going to be translating the website (and enlarging the legend) helping out with that side of things as I trained as a graphic designer and enjoy designing websites (strange choice of hobby, I know!)

Anyway, sorry to have sent you on a wild goose-chase. Feel free to email me.

Sybil

[quote]Many things are happening with the protest group. As you know, it's called 'Respecter le bocage' and they are planning another public meeting for October. You can join the association at the Mairie in...[/quote]

I have only just picked up this thread having now moved to France permanently and life has a way of suggesting what the heck it can be done tomorrow.

Thus I do not access the forum as much as I used to and certainly now as much as I ought.

I live near Percy at Mont Robin on the second highest point in Normandy.  Our Mairie this morning tells me its an area of outstanding natural beauty and this is not going to come our way!  However I do not believe that as much as I did not believe the garagegists and when he returned my wife's car in such a state that it now has to go to a Ford conessionaire.

In any event Le Chefresne is literally down the road from me as is St Sever so if Le Chefresne has signed up and being just two miles from Percy why have our local guys not signed up.

Again and it might be my tired eyes but I just cannot (sorry) make out the suggested routes. Can someone please help me with more definative ideas?

In any event I am a lawyer and whilst my French is not too hot my drafting skills are still in place and hopefully that was one of my strongest points when practising the profession if that is indeed what it is.  I became tired of the system hence here in France but if I can help then I will certainly do so.

kind regards

Quote from Will-le-C:

It also appears that there is a little more English-speaking involvement in this than you imply. The contact name at the bottom of each web site page is decidedly British sounding, < snip > It also looks as if the site itself, judging from the URL which comes up initially when clicking on the link above, could be hosted by AngloInfo (a name well known to some members of this forum).”

Will!! you old conspiracy theorist you. I didn’t know you had such a suspicious nature! Sybil has well-answered your concerns but I can also add that TOH and I went to a “committee meeting” last week and while there are two British people participating, the rest of the committee – probably about 20 people – were all very definitely French and local and very concerned.

Porth:

The maps are taken from a fold-out leaflet issued by RTE (Reseau de Transport d’Electricite) which I’ll copy for you if you send me your snail-mail address. I don’t want to send it as an email attachment - on a 28kbps dialup, life is too short.

You may find a visit to St Sever Mairie useful – you can join the association and possibly get other information – or at least the contact details of the association president.

It may be that your proximity to an area of outstanding natural beauty protects you from the line… which may also be the case for us. But I’m not sure that matters. Someone is going to be affected by these pylons. In view of the fact the protest group is strongly recommending burying the cables rather than ‘stopping’ the line, the more people and communes who state their opposition to the proposed run of pylons the better even if they feel they may not be directly affected.