We bought a rotavator from a branch of a national brico chain at St Pair sur Mer (near Granville) which didn't work. We returned it to the shop on Monday where they offered to replace it with a new one they'd get in from another branch. We agreed on condition that the new one worked, so we went back on Tuesday to collect it. When we got home we found that the new one didn't work so I phoned the shop and spoke to the manager. He said they'd collect it next day and bring a refund.

On Wednesday the manager rang me and said they couldn't collect until Thursday and the cheque wouldn't be ready till Friday, so I agreed we'd bring the rotavator back on Friday and collect the cheque.

We've just been back to the shop where the manager said he'd spoken to his director and they wouldn't give us a refund after all, but we'd have to accept a repair. I showed him the relevant European/French consumer law at which he just shrugged.

We will take this further - we have an appointment with a hussier on Tuesday, but if you don't want the same trouble with guarantees, I'd suggest buying from shops where you know the after-sales to be ok.

Shops I've found to be very good on after sales are Carrefour, Conforama, Ikea & Lidl.

• 4 weeks later...
Well, we won in the end!!
I wrote to the head office and after they investigated they told us to go back to the shop for a refund. The shop still tried to dispute it and delayed paying us, but today we collected the cheque - and they won't see us parting with our money there again!

[quote user="cheryla"]We will take this further - we have an appointment with a hussier on Tuesday, but if you don't want the same trouble with guarantees, I'd suggest buying from shops where you know the after-sales to be ok.[/quote]

What's a hussier?

Thanks for being the first to point that out Russ.

We bought two settees from Conforama. It was nearly 6 months before we found a fault with one of them. After having guarantee problems with other local companies (who shall remain nameless) we returned to the store prepared for a fight, collared the guy who sold us them and started to tell him our problem. "No need to worry", he said, "anything goes wrong with items you bought here within three years of purchase and we will replace it". True to his word we received a new sofa two weeks later. Just shows they can do it properly!

[quote user="Richard T"][quote user="cheryla"]...but they still have to do what the franchisee (is that the right word?) says![/quote]
Err no, it's "franchisor" [:)]
[/quote]

Knew it was one or the other!

I'd agree about Conforama being good on customer service (and the other companies I listed)