Touche pas à ma Picardie!

"Roses are blooming in southern Pas de Calais" - doesn't really have the same ring to it.

I like Picardy and have promised myself that I'll explore it properly when retirement arrives. The wide open skies are great.

Did you know that it used to be twinned with Essex?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have to say that whenever we drive through Picardie we always wonder why people love it. Flat, huge arable fields - it just doesn't 'do it' for us - but each to their own, hey Woolie. Mind you he is just as rude about my beloved Jura!

I can only really speak for the Somme département, and specifically for one of the world's most beautiful bays...

I love the Jura, too, Odile. I have wonderful memories of Arbois in particular, and Champagnole, and 'accidentally' riding over the top via Les Rousses on a motorbike in March, in thick snow with skiers alongside us looking rather surprised (though not as surprised as us)!

[quote user="odile"]I have to say that whenever we drive through Picardie we always wonder why people love it. Flat, huge arable fields - it just doesn't 'do it' for us - but each to their own, hey Woolie. Mind you he is just as rude about my beloved Jura!

[/quote]

I think it's probably true that most areas look at their worst seen from the motorway.

My elderly neighbours were born in St-Valery and Amiens respectively, count themselves as Picards and speak Picard (rather randomly, to my constant confusion). There is a strong and proud tradition of Picard culture in the area.

Furthermore, the historic region of Picardie was exactly this area:

"The south of the Aisne department and most of the Oise department were historically part of the province of Île-de-France, while the Somme department and the north of the Aisne department were the province of Picardy proper."

(www.placesinfrance.com/picardie_history.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picardie)

So I don't see how the Somme and its Baie do not count as part of Picardie except by the rather arbitrary notion that they are somehow not representative of the region on the basis of being too beautiful and thus not conforming to the stereotype...

And talking of Picards, don't forget that Jean-Luc will be born on July 13th 2305 and go on to boldly split infinitives that no-one has split before. [geek]

Rather ambiguously, his birth place will-have-has-been given as Labarre, of which there are many in France

I was going to see it last weekend but due to various minor domestic emergencies I didn't.  Maybe this weekend with luck.  My son saw it and thought it was Brill!

Ooops, didn't mean to hijack the thread - it was just the 'Picard' connection [:$]