Poplars....any value ???

We have around 200 matures poplars that need felling to make way for mixed woodland, orchards, etc and wondered if they have any real value. Some people say that they were used for making matches but nowadays are only used for paper making. We have also heard that the first 4 metres of the tree is good for furniture making. Having said that we really have no idea as to how to find out whether they have any real value at all so all help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim.

When I left UK four+ years ago, there was a growing market for poplar, it,s main use was for pallets then but some of the chaps I was working with were looking to broaden it's uses, claiming it to be an underused and under rated timber. With that amount of timber it might be worth dropping some for yourself and getting in a mobile sawmill...I'm not familiar with it,s structural properties, resistance to infestation or suitability for working but I'm sure a Google search will give you more info....mmm a boy could have alot of fun with those trees!

I would really tread carefully, do your research and don't do anything that your instincts are telling you not to do...especially where timber merchants are concerned!

Good luck

Edit...just noticed you,re in Indre, not at all far from me...gimme a shout if I can help...I sorta know my way around chainsaws too if you were thinking of going the DIY route?

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply.

I am still waiting for reply's from several 'commercial' timber people so still am not entirely sure as to the next move. We are not in a great hurry as we have more work than we can manage trying to make the old mill house just a wee bit habitable for the winter. Having said that we would like to plant the area up with more varied tree's including lots of fruit so will have to get it cleared sometime. When we purchased the property, a couple of years ago, the notaire informed us that the timber was worth 20,000 euro's but I am beginning to think he had had a glass to many before we met him !!!

You are always welcome to pop in for a glass, cup or whatever and anyone that fancy's lots of good free exercise is welcome to muck in on the wood clearing, lake management and general outside work.....I am not holding my breath on this one, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of years ago I wanted to convert just

under a hectare of "prairie" (weeds) into a forest (for

wood for heating in the future). I did not want the lines of evenly

spaced trees you see around. Got a professional in to advise on what

trees would do best and grow fast in the soil. He just could not

understand why I would not plant straight lines of evenly spaced

Peuplier. His reason is that in 20 years I could sell the lot and

get some money (plus the soil was well suited).

I did not go with his suggestion (and persuaded

him to come up with some ideas closer to what I was looking to do)

but I got the distinct impression that you plant the trees (8 or 10m

spacing, in straight lines, etc., leave them for 20/25 years then

sell the trees. The deal being you sell them "as is" -

buyer cuts and collects so you don't even have to cut them down. It

must be worthwhile (or grants available) as I keep seeing new patches

of land being planted in the way as others are cut down.

Ian

[quote user="powerdesal"]So what did you plant Deimos?  I have read that Eucalyptus (the C variety ?) is a good firewood tree and fast growing, better than one meter per year, it can also be coppiced.

[/quote]

Ash, alder, a species of faster growing Oak and one other I cannot remember.  I also went for closer to 6m appart and random as I intend to cut them for logs (heating) and thus they are unlikely to get to grow into fil sized trees.  It is quite a damp field yet the Oaks seem happy enough (though I did plant them in the higher bits of the field).  Mostly fast growing stuff.

Ian

• 2 months later...
Just thought I would update on this one........The man from the timber merchants measured the tree's, said he would return with valuation after saying they are a perfect size and has failed to either turn up or send anything in writing. I am now looking for another company in central France so if you know of one please let me know.