Scandal - vigilance with your accounts

Val_2

Check your bank accounts carefully at the moment if you have monthly payments going out. Double payments are being taken for many things including SFR payments. My sons girlfriend has had two Ford credit payments taken for her car and her brother two lots of rental taken out and its to do with the BNP bank. For debits/virements/loans with your own bank you should be safe but its happening and was on the news.Apparently by taking two lots of payment they are raking in millions and you will have to wait some weeks to get the second payment back as well.

An incorrectly taken or disputed DD should be re-credited by your bank instantly, stand your ground if they say it can't or won't.

Ditto if you want to cancel a DD, you can do it in the bank on demand. Some banks however will try and tell you that they can only be cancelled by the recipient but that only applies to standing orders not DD's.

Well that is what I said but apparently companies using BNP like SFR as an example to collect their monthly payments won't play ball and refund anything at present. Its alarming for folks on a tight budget to find two payments taken out no reimbursement offered for some time to come. People have had no idea about this until they see their statements and find it missing. I think the customer's own bank who take the money out to pay DD should take responsability and reimburse folks thus leaving them to recover the money from BNP. Not easy to cancel DD when like in this case, a car is being paid for monthly via Ford's own credit programme and nothing to do with her own bank for that.

[quote user="AnOther"]An incorrectly taken or disputed DD should be re-credited by your bank instantly, stand your ground if they say it can't or won't.

Ditto if you want to cancel a DD, you can do it in the bank on demand. Some banks however will try and tell you that they can only be cancelled by the recipient but that only applies to standing orders not DD's.
[/quote]

That is not true regarding un virement permanant, all you need to do is inform your bank that you wish to cease the arrangement.

You may be getting confused with trying to claw back a payment that has already been made  for example you have deposed your bail and moved out of a rental property but forgotten to cancel the virement, in that case it has to be the beneficiary that authorises his bank to repay you which is completely sensible.

An erroneous second payment by virement would be an error by your own bank. A second prélèvement is an error or fraud by the beneficiary, I dont actually see how the beneficiaries bank (BNB wasnt it?) would benefit unless they didnt put the money in the beneficiaries account.

Sounds like a computing glitch.

This does not surprise me at all.

Is this pertinent to prelevements?

Article L133-18

En cas d'opération de paiement non autorisée signalée par l'utilisateur dans les conditions prévues à l'article L. 133-24, le prestataire de services de paiement du payeur

rembourse immédiatement au payeur le montant de l'opération non

autorisée et, le cas échéant, rétablit le compte débité dans l'état où

il se serait trouvé si l'opération de paiement non autorisée n'avait pas

eu lieu.

Le payeur et son prestataire de services de paiement peuvent décider contractuellement d'une indemnité complémentaire.

I also seem to remember reading that the banques had 13 months to repay these things. One thing is for sure, it would sink my son completely if the numpties started doing this to his account.

I think so, it covers all non authorised payments.

Only in France do you get laws passed that say "immédiatement" and the banques will decide that 13 months will do, nobody seems to be accountable here, the shrug of the shoulders is king.

I opposed an unauthorised debit card transaction from my C.A. account, it was Myferrylink who finally decided to fine me €30 for ripping the ar5e out of using 24 hour return tickets to avoid paying 2 or 3 times as much for a single, they debitted me €30 from C.A. and £30 from Santander whose card I used to pay for the UK - France trip.

Credit Agricole refunded me the next day, Santander refused after screwing me around for a long time including several branch visits, they were all fine and sympathetic but it was the head office that shrugged their shoulders.

The brother of my son's girlfriend has had his Paris (€750/month) rent taken twice this week leaving him very little to last until next pay day, same for the girlfriend and her car payment.She asked Ford finance if they would use the second withdrawal to pay next month's payment and they said no,she must carry the load until reimbursed by the bank involved used by Ford to collect their money from customers. This could sink a lot of families who may get into further financial debt by having to borrow to pay loans off or going without food etc to stop interest building up.

So what is really going on here ? Is some person at the top giving instruction for this course of action to be taken by the bank ? Given the numbers this is happening to and that warrants publication in the press . I suspect it very well could be . If this is the case what sort of state is the banks finances in and would you want to leave your money with them ?

As Val 2 wrote :Apparently by taking two lots of payment they are raking in millions and you will have to wait some weeks to get the second payment back as well.

The words " bank getting desperate here " spring to my mind.

Is your son and his girlfriends bank dragging their heel then Val?

What bank is it?

Strange how mine refunded my money instantly but perhaps on a debit card payment there is a mechanism for doing so but in the case of prélèvements the refund initially at least comes out of your own banks coffers, thats what the legislation implies.

Perhaps its the common French, not my problem, nothing to do with me, why should I do anything despite what the law says, go and sort it out with them? Dodging responsibiity (which is not the same as fault) seems to have become an art form.