Gas cookers

Anyone out there own an ariston gas cooker? WE have bought house which has Ariston typen CLG-PS-04 model C 057GP(x) F double oven. We can use the hob which has spark operated lighter. However we can not get the oven to work. We have never had a gas cooker before. Someone mentions pilot light. Anyone advise me how to light and where it is normally found.

Have you tried lighting the oven with a match.There may be a small hole at the front of the unit. Not all gas ovens are automatic lighting, I had a new Brandt cooker with spark ignition to the hob part and the oven had to be lit by a match - it only lasted four years and I now have an electric oven which I love,gas ovens you can keep especially french ones.

This appears to be the manual for your type of cooker

http://www.ariston-france.fr/ariston/_pdf/manuals/19503730005_IT-UK-FR-SP-PO.pdf

Page 17 gives the lighting instructions.

Lighting the oven burner

• open the oven door;

• press and turn the thermostat knob "V" (with the symbol) and set it to maximum; keep it pushed.

Should there not be any electric energy, hold a lighted match near the central hole on the oven bottom as in

fig.3;

• keep the knob pressed in for around 10 seconds;

• release the knob, checking that the flame is stable release the knob, checking that the flame is stable, and hold the

door open for approximately 30-40 seconds;

• Close the oven door carefully to prevent the flame fromgoing out;

• wait around 10-12 minutes before placing any food to becooked into the oven, so as to preheat the oven suitably;

• set the temperature required for cooking by turning the thermostat knob to the positions ranging from 1 to 8 according to the following table:

Important: if the burner flame accidentally goes out, the gas continues to exit for a few moments before the safety

device activates.

Turn the control knob to the off position and do not attempt ignition again for at least 1 minute, thereby letting the gas

disperse, which could otherwise be a danger.

If your Ariston cooker is same / similar to our Ariston 'Range' lpg gas cooker I would recommend using a barbecue gas lighter rather than a match. Ours has a hole / slot about 6 inches in from the LH wall of the oven, on the oven floor centreline which the ignition flame has to be immediately above. The grill has to be lit with a naked flame also.

I could never figure out why the piezo-chrystal ignitor was only available on the hob burners, it doesn't seem to be rocket science to fit it to the oven and grill.

Regards

• 1 month later...
Being one of the old British gas engineers who gave up and left, one of the regular calls I got to new aquired ovens that would not light was sinply that if they were fitted with a time control it had been knocked onto to timer control and simply needed to be switched back to manual, try this if it has a clock

Anybody found the Brandt oven on Buta Gas  (Blue ) bottles cooks very hot? It has the correct jets in .....but  you have to watch it as it burns the bottom of pastry dishes very  quickly and I mean burn  ....you can chip the charcoal off !

All french butane gas ovens do this I'm afraid which is why after 17 years of cookers here I changed to electric fan oven and its absolutely wonderful and very very economic too which means the butane bottle for the matching hob lasts nearly a year now with daily use. I've burned through three cookers in those years by the way, the first one had no bottom left in it.

Thanks for the information Val ......my wife was convinced I had bought her a duff cooker ..a Friday afternoon one ! ......she has  moved to roasting chickens  in a brick now as she has fast dried out and crisped up a few ...this thing seems to cook  with the heat of  a  bast furnace .... and its turned down low ! Its got the proper butagas regulator on the bottle .....I even changed that to see if it helped .

[quote user="Frederick"]Thanks for the information Val ......my wife was convinced I had bought her a duff cooker ..a Friday afternoon one ! ......she has  moved to roasting chickens  in a brick now as she has fast dried out and crisped up a few ...this thing seems to cook  with the heat of  a  bast furnace .... and its turned down low ! Its got the proper butagas regulator on the bottle .....I even changed that to see if it helped .[/quote]

Don't start me on French gas ovens [:@] I found it helps to keep the roasting tray one notch below the other oven shelf and use the shelf with a normal roasting tin on it (and cook the roasts in foil). That way the tray acts as a deflector. If you need to use the tray as well try putting a rack in it so the food is not touching the bottom of it, it helps to eleminate some of the charcoal [:)]