Lost PIN

Gardian

Popped in to the local village 'supermarket' for a few bits this morning.  Got to the checkout and there was a very elderly lady being helped by a (not so) elderly lady over payment for her groceries.

I guess that the value of the items was €10 or so Lady Mk1 had been trying to pay with her CA debit card.  Trouble seemed to be that she had forgotten her PIN No and Lady Mk2 was trying to sort it out for her. Various bits of paper were being produced from her purse, one of which Lady Mk1 was convinced had the PIN written on it.  It was actually a phone no.

Lady Mk1 was, by this time, getting quite stressed and Mk2 took some time to convince her that if she had the cash, that was perhaps the best option (rather than stall the card with too many failed attempts).  Unusually for me, I was 'patience personified' whilst Mk1 was being sorted out.

Moral of the story: few of us are big fans of the banks, but sometimes they're right.  No matter which country you're in, don't let your elderly loved ones loose with plastic cards and PIN No's on a piece of paper somewhere in the same purse!

LIVIN GFRANCE

If you must write your number down this is a way of doing it I was shown years ago - just remember a secret word within a row of letters - in this case the word is LIFE so the PIN would be 2783. You can use anything you choose

These days I actually change all my cards to a number I can remember easily....

On a visit to our french bank a confused old gentleman wanted to withdraw some money from his account. He was told he would have to use the machine outside as they didn't pay out cash over the counter. He asked for assistance with the machine, but was given a firm Non!. They said they had already shown him how to use the machine on numerous occasions. Looking helpless  he asked what he should do, and was told to ask a passer by for help! Fortunately he had his PIN number written on a piece of paper in inch high characters................ 

On using the machine myself I was pleased to note the bank's concern for security as they have a warning notice pointing out the need for discretion when entering the code.....

When our CA du Midi bank retained my card and they gave me a new card I was told that I could change my number any time I wanted.

They retained my card because someone just in front of me was trying to do a fraud and they had not had time to shut the machine down. As I used to service cash points as part of my job with IBM I know that this is a load of old pony, they shut down instantly! They also tried to charge me for the new card, but my manager pre-empted that and told them to stuff the charge.

I always hold my wallet over the keyboard when I'm entering anything so it can't be seen by anyone, including me. The number is easy to key in...

• 3 weeks later...