Disposal of larger items

You should have a local dechetterie not far from where you are, ask at the mairie who may issue with a pass iif necessary, there will also be some arrangement for collection of larger items les encombrants, dependant on your commune this could range from skips at strategic points every month to a dustcar collection from your trottoir twice a year, again the mairie is the place to ask.

We visited ours last week with packaging, took some bottles, newspapers with us. It was nice to see that every recycling bin there now has an old table, bench etc on which to place your boxes when recycling bottles, paper etc. Great idea to help my back and creaky knees - no bending! [:D]

It's very tidy at the French site, but also at our local one in Berks. That's a huge new facility, replacing a messy area, and is much easier and pleasanter to use, and also has staff who help unload. There are walls you can put your boxes on while you tip them over. But the French one's tables to place boxes etc on have been placed there by the helpful staff, recycled from what has been taken there. Both are very good an well-rranged.

Twice a year my commune has what we call a 'Bring out your dead' day

You get notice of a day when you can leave large stuff outside your front gate and blokes on a truck (yes, ringing a bell) come and take it all away.

Towards the end of last year I put out an old washing machine (totally knackered) a bath and some rolls of rusted fencing.  By morning only the fencing was left!

My neighbour put out an old oil drum that I had my eye on for a mega BBQ but by morning that had gone too!

Yes that is the score around here as well, loads of cars circulating after the volets have dropped, 100% of the scrap metal dissapears before the wagon arrives and a good proportion of the other stuff.

I have no scruples about taking anything that I can recycle even in daylight and have been known to dive in the bennes at la dechetterie, at first the guys were shirty about it, I think I was the first to do it but now that they know me and of my revenue they dont mind as long as I ask first.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Yes that is the score around here as well, loads of cars circulating after the volets have dropped, 100% of the scrap metal dissapears before the wagon arrives and a good proportion of the other stuff.

I have no scruples about taking anything that I can recycle even in daylight and have been known to dive in the bennes at la dechetterie, at first the guys were shirty about it, I think I was the first to do it but now that they know me and of my revenue they dont mind as long as I ask first.

[/quote]

That's SOP at ours.  Mr. Tw has gotten volet hardware, etc.,  there (with the aid and encouragement of the dechetterie workers) and once gave some broken appliances to a guy who was there with his van, apparently looking for parts.