Re: Comedy on the High Seas

virginia.c

How funny is this? Have just seen on the Beeb news website that Somali Pirates have attacked a French naval vessel, mistakenly believing it to be a cargo ship! Imagine the pirates surprise when they were not only repelled but caught and captured.. As they say, Should have gone to specsavers...

[quote user="virginia.c"]As they say, Should have gone to specsavers...[/quote]

Indeed!

Just checked out the details on the SFR Actualites site.  Fully expected the warship to be named Le Terrible or Le Courageux or Le Foch.

Instead it was a re-supply vessel named Le Somme. The skipper will dine out on this one for the rest of his life. 

Thats ironic! I heard it on the news today and thought that they said "La Somme", I was going to post that it must be called La Somme but there is indeed a masculin noun Le Somme meaning nap, sleep or snooze.

I would say that on this occasion the crew were not living up to their name. [;-)]

[quote user="Chancer"]Thats ironic! I heard it on the news today and thought that they said "La Somme", I was going to post that it must be called La Somme but there is indeed a masculin noun Le Somme meaning nap, sleep or snooze.

I would say that on this occasion the crew were not living up to their name. [;-)][/quote]

The ship is called Somme after the dept of la Somme (details here).

Some reports refer to it as le Somme as it is un navire or more accurately un bâtiment de commandement et de ravitaillement, and some others as la Somme because of the origin of the name.

Poor old pirates they are having a tough time especially now in the recession.

I have noticed that a lot have taken early retirement and given up the high seas and settled inland.

I think they miss the idle thump of disel engines as they used to swing in their hammocks.  Having given up the salty sea they wallow in nostalgia and buy Harley Davidsons. Perhaps they think they will mix in with the tattooed bikers - but you can easily notice them with their scarves/hankies tied over their baldy heads.

But at least the prices of scimitars have dropped.

[quote user="Clair"]Some reports refer to it as le Somme as it is un navire or more accurately un bâtiment de commandement et de ravitaillement, and some others as la Somme because of the origin of the name.
[/quote]

This all goes to prove the illogicality of French genders. La Seine, la Loire ............ le Rhone, le Gardon. Actually, in typing this, I've just realised that the ones down here are masculine and the ones up north are feminine!

OH's favourite is le vagine. [:$]

If they can't work it out, how are we expected to?

[quote user="LEO"]The French captain may have utterred the following words and , the pirates folded!

Ah-har Jim Lad, brace the main sail, whey anchor............
[/quote]

Aye Long John Leo he mighta done... Just imagine that anchor made of non milk solids...