Re: Some German jokes!

NormanH

Humour is often a defence mechanism and will thrive in the face of all adversity but if anybody is in any doubty my friends wife came out of the East in the early 80's, before the wall came down, and there was NOTHING remotely funny about it.

She recently obtained a copy of her Stasi file, there is still a team of workers reconstructing the records that they managed to shred before they were stopped, and discovered that people she regarded as true friends, some of whom she had even kept in touch with to this day, had in fact been informers and had denounced her as a prostitute because her now husband used to visit from the West but in a different hire car each time.

Contrary to popular notion it was possible to officially exit the East but it was a protracted and harrowing experience which had far reaching and catastrophic consequences not only for any applicant but for their entire family but ultimately, to the condemnation of the regime, rested on money.

I won't go into further detail but suffice to say that we in the West simply cannot imagine what it was like living under such conditions and privations.

"I won't go into further detail but suffice to say that we in the West simply cannot imagine what it was like living under such conditions and privations."

How do you equate that comment with the fact that the inabitants of the UK are the most spied upon people in the world? And they tell us that the cameras are for safety purposes.

I can't imagine what it would have been like to live under a communist rule. I never would want to. I know a few people who have and ok, the west is far from perfect, but at least in the west (and that includes the UK), we are free to do pretty much what we want. That certainly wasn't the case under communist rule. Why do you think people reacted that way when the wall came down?

I moan like most others about how hard done by we are in this democracy, but bloody oath, I'd much rather live under this regime than under the communist easts!

• 2 weeks later...