Re: A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Mairie

Gardian

I don't go to the Mairie very often - once or twice a year. Part of the problem is the Secretaire - whatever the opposite of charisma is, she's got it.

Anyway, I needed to drop by yesterday. Coincidentally, I'd overheard one of those Les Dawson-like whispered conversations in the Tabac in the bigger adjacent village that very morning. It was along the lines of someone having keeled over and died in our village.  My thoughts immediately went to a lady who is the 'Gardienne' at the church: a lovely lady, but who is perpetually unwell. She's always at the doc's and has had to cart around one of those portable oxygen cylinders with her.

I parked outside the Mairie and happened to see her husband. Called out to him and over he came. After the initial pleasanteries, I asked after Jeanette-eh (that's the way its pronounced down here). Mr J (as we know him) launched in to five minutes of very heavily local-accented discourse on her state of health: I managed to pick out of it all that she was fine and doing a bit of 'housework' down at the old folk's home. Quite frankly, even after 9 yrs down here, I understood barely 5% of what he said to me - his (and her) accent could be cut with a knife.

Towards the end, he asked me a question.  It could well have been "Are all you incomers plonkers like you?" I just said "Beh oui" and we parted company amicably.              

No Betty!

I just hope that the poor soul hadn't already sent off their acceptance to the Old Folk's Bash which is taking place today week.

You may remember me mentioning it last year - we've had this year's invite and the menu looks just as good as last time.  

Sad to read about your Secretaire, ours is quite the opposite. I help organise our village White Hair lunch and have served at it (with my wife) for over half my mandate.

This year when discussing the menu, much lip smacking was evident when we proposed tongue, evidently much easier to eat for people of advanced ages!

(just re-read this, its the meat for the main course I was talking about)