No taxe d'habitation bill yet

Daft Doctor

Hi, we moved into our newly built house in March 2014, and after completing the necessary H1 form and having a visit from the people at the prefecture, we duly received our taxe foncière bill for 2015 in September. We are now early November however and no taxe d'habitation bill has arrived. As this is our one and only residence, I had expected to be paying the 2015 bill in mid-November, so I am a bit puzzled. Question is, is this usual in the first year of liability, or has someone forgotten about us. My wife does run her small ebay business from home, all of which has been declared, but I can't imagine the small CFE she will have to pay for doing that would be instead of the vastly larger taxe d'hab, especially as she only uses one room which also doubles as a bedroom. Second thing, if an omission has indeed been made, am I correct in thinking that I need to speak directly to the local tax office rather than the town tresorie? I certainly don't want to be accused of trying to avoid paying what is due, but without a bill I can't do much. Thanks for any advice.

This tells you the circumstances when you are exempt from t d'h, do any apply?

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F42

No CFE is in addition to the normal taxe d'hab, not instead of.

I'm a bit surprised you paid foncière though, I thought you didn't pay that for the first year or two on new build properties.

Hi Eurotrash, thanks for the link, sadly we don't fulfill any of those criteria for exoneration from td'h. It is also sadly a myth that you are exempt from TF for 2 years on a new build. It is only the departmental element of the TF, in our case representing approx one third, which is deducted, but better than nothing of course!

I emailed mine and got this reply in about 10 minutes:

"bonjour Monsieur,

L'avis de taxe d'habitation 2015 vous parviendra bientôt.
La taxe est à payer au plus tard le 15/12/2015.

Je vous prie de croire, Monsieur, à l'assurance de ma considération distinguée."

Hi idun, no, it isn't on my online account, which I check every couple of days. It may be that the bills are late being prepared, but the friends locally that I've asked have all had theirs and are due to pay this month. It is however the first year we've paid Td'H on the house, whereas it is the second for TF, since we paid that when the house was being built. I remember that last years TF bill wasn't tied to our online account, and the guy at the tresorie said this was normal for the first year. It may be therefore that the Td'H bill won't be visible online this year, and it also by the same token might be delayed compared to others around.

D-D - as you implied in your last post, it's probably because your house doesn't exist yet in the tax system, being so new.

When all the different references to it start to appear  then they will cotton on.

I mean, the various taxes that owners have to pay on newbuilds. (So I believe, not sure on that one.)

Yes, Patf, we have already gone through that particular pain. The new 'taxe d'aménagement' (which fairly recently replaced all the other various building / planning taxes) came to over 10,000 euros in our case, I nearly fell off my chair! Then, just when we thought it was over, the commune hit us with another 2,300 euros one-off charge for connecting to the sewage network, ouch again!

If nothing materialises in the next couple of weeks I'll email the local hotel des impots as Norman did.

Those taxes following a new build, would that people were honest about them. Ours was the equivalent of yours DD only 30 odd years ago, a knock out punch for us young folks then.

I had asked the bank, the notaire and the constructor and anyone else I could, IF there was anything else to budget for, and they all said no, the list I had in front of them was 'it'. I think I probably cried when it came, I remember being very very shocked. This after the bank had done some very nasty and malicious things to us, because basically the staff were rubbish and got away with being awful at their jobs.

[quote user="NormanH"]My email worked! My taxe d'habitation came online this evening after I mailed them Monday morning.

[/quote]

I received a reply, on October 20, to an email sent on September 26, advising that they would send me a copy of my missing TF bill by mail, and ensure that the situation is rectified fro 2016.

I had already paid the TF on receiving a copy of the bill by email, immediately after phoning my local Tresorerie on October 6.

The details are still not on line, over 5 years after buying this house.

Update - I spotted that the missing Td'H bill had appeared on impots.gouv.fr. Problem is they seem to think it is a maison secondaire, they haven't transferred our fiscal situation over (including the fact that we have a dependant child), the RFR is missing and they say we've declared that we don't have a TV. Cue email to sip sallanches to fill them in on the missing info. Hopefully a revised (and therefore more manageable) bill will be forthcoming!

It is the norm if you are renting, which, I believe, is what you were doing before you had your present place built.

It is to indicate to the tax people if you should be allowed any reduction in your taxe d'hab.

We had the same whilst renting but I have not noticed it on our bills now we own the house we live in.

Sue