Great British Menus.... aN oxymoron?

Chauffour

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Dago"]Just when I was going next door for a BBQ too.......throw another A***hole on the BBQ....that'll be Tony Blair then[/quote]

But this is a Phrench Phorum, so you really should have said Jacques Chirac.  Or Sarkozy.  Or VilePain.  Or Royal.  

It's called integration, Dago!  [:D]

I think, and this is only my opinion that the British had no belief that their food was good.  We were brought up with this stuff then we discovered other international cuisines and they have become 'trendy' over the recent 30 years. 

British food became the food for the 'untravelled' if you like.  British restaurants never really took off in UK only pub grub such as scampi and chips which gave us a bad name was available.

I think it is only very recently that we have looked back at grandmas recipes and thought wow how good was that? Although it is mostly hearty and filling stuff which we need in our colder climes, no way should it be dismissed.

So  who knows where it will go in the future.  It certainly deserves a spot.

Come to think of it I read in Living France (I think) a few years back of an English woman who opened a restaurant in Dordy and gradually introduced English Fayre and it took off with the French.

Can anyone throw any light on that one?

[quote user="Chauffour"]...i'm a bit deluded that nobody has told me

WHY there are not many british restaurants abroad, promoting the Great

British Menus... [:P] .. and the world is full of expats Brits..

so?[/quote]

Be deluded no longer Chauffour.

The World is full of English chefs who every year, seem to win

Best chefs wherever they are. We are not seen as being of one style but

of many.

The traditional countries well known for their excellent food over many

years, have not seen the good old British Chef sliding up on the rails

and now it's too late to stop us....we are numero uno in the world[:D]

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

If you Google "restaurant anglais en France" nothing comes up... britannique non plus.

How was the canard Katie?

[/quote]

Hi Christine,

Yes I did exactly what you said and it was delish.  I will buy more when I get out there for the summer.

Yes Kathie, something like that.  She took over a restaurant and gained quite a reputation for French cooking.  When she had a rather large French clientele, she gradually introduced Brtiish to the menu and it went down a storm.  I do believe, when you really think about it our food is amongst the best.  Or am I being biased.

Chauffour,  I think when you started this thread you meant what you said because I think you knew very little about British food (I may be wrong).  But from reading through the replies, what do you now think?  Honestly, we wont gang up on you, it is just interesting to know from you and any other non Brits who use this forum.

SORRY !

I posted a reply to something on the first page without realising that there were 8 pages in this thread - and now it doesn't make sense, so I have deleted it...

Any chance a moderator could delete this post please?  [:$]

Angela