SO ... who have you met, then?

Cassis

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a single one, apart from Lyn & Martin who we know. I'd love to meet all of you over a long weekend (one in particular!!), we could have a weekend of eating, drinking, cooking, sleeping, singing, dancing.....imagine! Who's got the venue? I'm up for it.

Chris

Good god, You're a right party animal, aren't you!  Wasn't it just last night or the night before you were up till 3.00am at a BBQ?  That was you, wasn't it? 

I like the idea, but who's going to drive the bus and pick everyone up?

I often wonder if I am a bit of a sad person, spending time on forums, when I tell people at work about it they think I am cranky.There is so little on television these days and I was never that bothered about tele, just seem to have time on my hands now I am older.I do enjoy reading all your banter,but do not always understand all of it often have to get the dictionary out reading Dicks posts, I suspect he would be pleased about that being a teacher.Yes a big party would be nice, but might spoil it in another way.Well my house is not far from you Chris, near Eymoutiers in Haute Vienne about 20mins from Treignec.Also have a massive barn, but need time to put a new floor in it and find a new home for my barn owl.Chris can I ask you a question, I have bought a fair bit of Oak in England to have a new front door made it is in planks about an inch thick.I have kept it indoors, but a local boatbuilder told me to put it outside for six months before having it made,should I cover it up or just let it get wet? .The oak was cut 15 years ago.I hope you dont mind me asking you.

You're on the right track Vervialle, it's a start! We have our first semi offer of a venue! I hate telly also but do look in from time to time. 3am seemed natural, but I had had a sleep before.

Don't use the Oak for your front door, it is air dried and will never be dry enough to avoid movement. It needs to go into a kiln and be dried down to an appropriate percentage. I have my own kiln (I make furniture and other stuff as well) and dry to 10%-12%. Air drying at best will take it to 16%, guaranteeing unnacceptable movement in your front door!

Chris

[quote user="Chris Head"]

Air drying at best will take it to 16%, guaranteeing unnacceptable movement in your front door!

[/quote]

What, like it will have gaps big enough for a rat in summer and it'll not even open in the winter?

[quote user="SaligoBay"]

Yes, I've met quite a few now, and talked to a couple of others on the phone.

All very, very nice.

[/quote]

Now we know you're only saying this because

1. You're a nice person
  2. The other people might be looking in
So do you live near a lot of other members?  You see, being on the Orne/Sarthe border I get the impression we're out on a limb here, miles from anyone else.

Where do you buy kiln dried oak from in England, the door does not have to fit that well because it is on a porch in the shape of a church door with an arched top, the present door must be 200 years old, the hinges are 300 years old I am told and I planned to reuse them.Because the door does not go straight into the house it does not have to fit perfectly, the house is 500 years old and leans badly another wonky door would not make that much difference,would I have trouble with it swelling up in the winter do you think.Paid £300.00 for it so it will be a bit gutting if I cannot use it.The man said it was seasoned,what does that exactly mean.Sorry folks that my post is a bit off thread.

'Seasoned' means that you have been ripped off, it's a timber merchants way of buying your confidence because you don't know any better. It will move! If I had access to the timber I'be happy to measure it's moisture content and comment accordingly aferwards. I'd be more than happy to put it in my kiln with another load (no cost to you).

Chris

I met ali@ards and her OH Mark a few weeks ago.

I was a nervous wreck beforehand. Afterwards I had my first early evening hangover in about 10 years.

I have been a bit out of touch, but Ali, if you are looking in you are very welcome to come back, not for the lunch time drinking, (never again) but for the laughter that I am certain would have arisen anyway.

Oh, and I have spoken to Katie Kopy Kat on the phone. She is Welsh, and utterly charming. Twinkle had her chance, but I scare her, apparently[:D]

A couple of weeks ago, I was also an absolute nervous wreck like Tresco, as I was going to meet for the 1st time & stay with both CroixBlanches & Naps, they were both lovely & great company. I also met Sundaydriver & pp Chris who were charming. I've also spoken to Mrs MDW & she's smashing & I will be meeting her in September. Hopefully my nails will have grown back by then![:-))]

I nearly met you, Cassis, and nearly saw your front door!  I had hoped to stay in your B&B but you were booked on the day I needed.

By the way, I tried your route from Caen to Bordeaux, via Alencon, Le Mans, Tours rather than via Rennes and Nantes.  It was an interesting route and less tedious but the tolls were higher.  I think that I shall continue doing that route in the future as there was more opportunity to break the journey and come to visit people like you.

The longest stretch was from Caen to Alencon as we were behind two very, very long loads (concrete girders?) that had to go the wrong way round roundabouts etc.  This added about one hour to the journey.  I see that a new autoroute is due to open in 2010.

Cathy I love your signature, its so true, my mother was so houseproud always cleaning up setting the breakfast table the night before,cleaning our shoes, the house was like a show house,and we never got a bedtime story.Shall we start a read your kids a bed time story day,they were magical moments I spent with my son all bathed and smelling nice, he shuffled round getting comfy in bed and switched off the day into the magic of his chosen book,yes it seems like yesterday and he is twenty now.

[quote user="Cassis"]Now we know you're only saying this because

The other people might be looking in[/quote]

Damn, was it THAT obvious?  [:D]

[quote user="Cassis"]So do you live near a lot of other members?  [/quote]

No, and I very rarely hear English spoken when I go out and about, yet there must be plenty around.  I guess we just move in different social circles! 

There is one member just up the road, about 8km away, a good-looking, debonair sort of chap.  The lovely Hewitts is, sadly, way too far away, down there in Sydney.   The rest are all somewhere in between!

Talked to SB on the phone - she is lovely.  We are really pretty

close to each other, perhaps one day we will meet.  Our OH's also

seem to have a bit of work experience in common.

Met Laine, who doesn't post all that often here, but whom I see fairly

often.  She and her husband are fabulous.  Will be seeing

them this coming weekend.

I believe it was Hoddy who sent me some great cheese when I was craving

it.  All the way from the UK !!  at her own expense. 

Jean, do forgive me if I got your forum name wrong.  I am typing

early in the morning and I'm not sure I got it right...

I'd love to meet more folks.  Like SB, I think we are a bit far from the great majority. 

Anybody want to find a middle meeting point ?

Problem is that such a big country any middle meeting point for a big bash would be many a mile from most people.  I was just curious about the extent to which people have met each other as you do see the odd post which indicates this happens but it's hard to judge whether this is commonplace.

[quote user="Lori"]Talked to SB on the phone - she is lovely.  We are really pretty close to each other, perhaps one day we will meet.  [/quote]

Why, thank you, Lori!  [:$]

I would say "you're lovely too", but Dick would only go and post a kitten, and then where would we be...... 

Oh go on then, Lori's lovely too!   Dream phone voice as well.  And Janey, who hasn't posted for ages, she's blonde and sooooo nice, I liked her the second I set eyes on her.   She's far too nice for the likes of me.

Hewitts is excellent, and I have no words to express how much I enjoyed our morning at Bondi Beach! [:D]

Thanks SB !  We really should get together one day.  You are

always welcomed here.  We have lots of room downstairs for you, OH

and your son.  Its very private too.

Cassis - Yes, I just thought it would be fun to see if anyone was

interested in a fun Saturday get together somewhere.  True those

that live in the Northwest and those of us who live in the Southeast

(or the other opposite two corners) might find it hard to find a

convenient meeting place, but it would be fun I'm sure.  France

has such an excellent train system, we need not even drive if the

location was right.

Oh well, just thought it would be fun.  Guess I'm looking for a little fun....

[quote user="Lori"]Thanks SB !  We really should get together one day.  You are

always welcomed here.  We have lots of room downstairs for you, OH

and your son.  Its very private too.

[/quote]

You're both getting dangerously close to kitten territory here ....

[quote user="Lori"]

Cassis - Yes, I just thought it would be fun to see if anyone was

interested in a fun Saturday get together somewhere.  True those

that live in the Northwest and those of us who live in the Southeast

(or the other opposite two corners) might find it hard to find a

convenient meeting place, but it would be fun I'm sure.  France

has such an excellent train system, we need not even drive if the

location was right.

Oh well, just thought it would be fun.  Guess I'm looking for a little fun....

[/quote]

So, girls just wanna have fu-hun, girls just wanna have fun ...

[quote user="SaligoBay"]

And Janey, who hasn't posted for ages, she's blonde and sooooo nice, I liked her the second I set eyes on her.   She's far too nice for the likes of me.

[/quote]

Yes, where is the delightful Janey ?

Last news was that hubby had got a local job and all were happy.

Peter